The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Aesthetics of the New Filter Bar Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by manispace View Post
I'm running it on 10.5.

Maybe if I had a 24" screen it wouldn't bother me that much (though I still wouldn't like the dark look), but on my 13" screen it takes up too much valuable vertical space (at least it looks as if it would because of the dominant appearance).
Changing the ToolBar to small size, icon only or text only gives back a bit of space.

Michael

Quote:
What was wrong with the old Filter Bar (and the old Look in general)? This new one is way too bold, dark and distracting. Very obtrusive. It doesn't look like OS X, and it sure doesn't look like Omni.
Imagine what it's like using Apple Logic Studio on a 30" screen - the whole screen looks like the new filterbar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamov View Post
I utterly hate the Lucida Grande font when used in text. it's horrible. Any way to get the old style theme somewhere?
Yes, here's a link to the OmniFocus 1.6 default theme.

thanks for the old style, Ken. The new one takes up too much screen real estate for my taste.

I also dislike the new filter bar. Too dark, too jarring. Not sure what was wrong with the old way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PellMellow12 View Post
I also dislike the new filter bar. Too dark, too jarring. Not sure what was wrong with the old way.
The old view bar had the issue of being hard to understand what was actually being controlled:

Completed, Flagged, Completed, Flagged....

The new:

Let's you see what each drop down is referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-08-28 at 11.32.04 AM.png
Views:	667
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-08-28 at 11.31.07 AM.png
Views:	790
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1043  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Viewed from Leopard, the contrast between lozenges and dark background is gratuitously high.
WOW. Yes. I just upgraded, and... wow. And I'm a recent *Windows* user, so my standards are low.

That filter bar says "HEY! LOOK AT ME! AROOOOGA!"

I've just downloaded the 1.6 theme, and it didn't change the filter bar, so I'm guessing that isn't themed. Sigh. At least the Lucida's gone now. (And I *like* Lucida. Just not here.)

Quote:
Perhaps it would be helpful for someone in Omni to read a basic text on graphic design
It's bizarre. Despite the welcome presence of Ken, Tim and others on this forum, and despite the fact that Omni clearly cares about human factors (i.e. they're not game developers, Adobe, or Craigslist), they keep getting simple things wrong, and making right things wronger.

I can't imagine why, but I can't stop rediscovering it, either. OmniFocus and OmniOutliner keep getting in the way, and they keep finding new means to do it.

The new view bar is awful. Please add a way to make it the old style.

-Chris

Quote:
This new one is way too bold, dark and distracting
I totally agree as well.

But maybe it looks better in Snow Leopard? (I'm still on Leopard and haven't seen it in SL yet.)

I personally love the new viewbar. I recognize that votes on this forum aren't being counted, but I vote to keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Perhaps it would be helpful for someone in Omni to read a basic text on graphic design - one of the readily available books by Edward Tufte, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Levitt View Post
It's bizarre. Despite the welcome presence of Ken, Tim and others on this forum, and despite the fact that Omni clearly cares about human factors (i.e. they're not game developers, Adobe, or Craigslist), they keep getting simple things wrong, and making right things wronger.
What is it about software consumers that makes them think outright insults are okay to level at developers (see the Things forums for more information)? You've both been very rude, and phrasing your feedback constructively might be more useful to all involved.

They've outlined their thoughts on this, and whilst I feel that the contrast is out of whack, the new "label plus dropdown" combination is certainly a lot more usable.

So, a win and a loss—given I'd love for Omni to get (and please) more users I'll go with a preference for new users to understand the gist of the view toolbar faster.

Also, not to wave the pedant flag too much, but Tufte is generally aiming his work at the presentation of information, rather than interface design. They're separate disciplines (and only loosely fall under the "graphic design" banner).