The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

pizza slices Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

Is there any way to easily make "pizza slices" other than half or one-fourth? I'm trying to construct a figure of a ring with different colors for different parts of the ring which I can label. (For those of you with a biology background, a plasmid map graphic :) ). I figure I can make the appropriate slices and subtract one from the other to get my colored sections. Or is there some easier way I'm missing?

Ron

Try Peter McMaster's Pie Chart AppleScript, it's really really handy.

And it comes close to doing what I'd like. However....

Let me detail what I tried and see if anyone can correct my mistakes. Generate a pie chart. Get rid of the labels. Duplicate the chart. Resize one chart such that I can nest it within the other. Select the appropriate "slices" and subtract them. That should give me an arc, but it doesn't. Sometimes I can't subtract the two shapes for some reason (both selected, but option not available). Sometimes the subtraction leaves a line. Sometimes subtraction doesn't work and one of the slices is in a state that I can't select it with the mouse, but can with select all.

Typing this out, I guess I can just drop another circle in the middle to hide the lines.... But it would really be nice to set a radius and a fraction of the circle to cover.

Ron

PS An example of what I'd like to do is attached. So I can do it in omnigraffle by dropping the circle on to hide the lines.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plasmid.pdf (14.3 KB, 680 views)

Last edited by ronpar; 2006-11-03 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: added example

Peter McMaster also has other scripts for different shapes. Maybe you can use a script to create an arc, then widen the arc? Then arrange in a circle?

The pie chart and arc scripts are nice. Seem to get me most of the way there. The big problem seems to be with the subtract shapes function which is a bit buggy on my machine (bugs for sure, but my expectations may not jibe with the people at Omni about how it should work). I appreciate all the suggestions and help.

Ron