The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

usage question: irregular list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What process would you apply to something that occurs on an irregular basis? For example, I have identified several things that I a
going to bring to a relatives house, buy I currently don't have a trip scheduled. If I had a trip on the calendar, I could have iCal send a reminder a few days before the trip or I could set the project start date so that the tasks would become available at the right time.

So what would you do on your system?

Schedule a trip?
put the project on hold and catch it in a weekly review?
make the relative a context and put the context on hold?

Steve

Without wishing to state the obvious, in the scenario you outline, I think it depends on how urgent it is that you get whatever-it-is to your relative. If you realize when you get home from lunch in town with your relative that somehow you’ve ended up with his asthma inhaler, then I’d say that it’s pretty important that you get it back to him ASAP. If, on the other hand, you’ve got a novel that you think your relative would enjoy when he’s got a moment to spare, then that’s (presumably) considerably less pressing.

In the first instance, of course, you’d be phoning your relative to say that you’ve got his inhaler, and that you’re about to jump in the car to bring it over. It’s a scenario which David Allen likens to putting out a fire.

In the second instance, however, I think I would probably make a task like ‘Lend The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club to Jimmy’ [brilliant light series, BTW]. If you’re building up a whole collection of things to take to Jimmy the next time you see him, perhaps put all these things together in one project—put them in your home context (if they’re all at home) because, to me, it makes more sense for you to collect everything you want to take ahead of time, and put it all in a box or a bag to pick up when you next go out the door to visit Jimmy, Anna, and the beautiful new baby. Furthermore, if you’re worried that you’ll forget to take that bag or box when you leave, you could even set up an alarm in iCal or something similar to remind you.

Of course this is just the way I might do it: you (or others) might well find a better system for tackling the situation you describe.