The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Search Function in iPhone App? [Yes; added in OmniFocus for iPhone 1.5] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Will a search function ever be added to the iPhone app?

The ability to search in the active project I'm working on (as in the desktop version), or more importantly a GLOBAL search. Global search in the desktop version would be a good thing, too!

I'm finding it extremely limiting not being able to do this.

I use OF mainly for making lists. There are times when I want to find all items with similar content that are scattered throughout numerous Projects; ie: items from the same manufacturer, or tasks that I've delegated to other people.

Global search already exists in the Mac app (and has since before the 1.0 release over 18 months ago). Just switch to the built-in "All Items" perspective. There has been some discussion in the OmniFocus for Mac forum about making the "search all" capability more discoverable and accessible -- not sure if anything has been decided there.

As for the iPhone app, search functionality is supposedly on the way. The Omni Group said they were working on it. Although I'm not sure when it's slated for release.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-05-31 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Added note about "search all" accessibility

Global Spotlight style search is coming to the iPhone with OS 3.0

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
Global Spotlight style search is coming to the iPhone with OS 3.0
Thanks, Michael. That's a good point. Although I think the OP was looking for search functionality within the OmniFocus iPhone app, which is what I was referring to in my earlier post.

It's also not clear to me if Apple's Spotlight-style search for iPhone OS 3.0 will work with third-party app data. Is there some way Omni can offer up an index of OmniFocus items for the Spotlight search mechanism?

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Thanks, Michael. That's a good point. Although I think the OP was looking for search functionality within the OmniFocus iPhone app, which is what I was referring to in my earlier post.

It's also not clear to me if Apple's Spotlight-style search for iPhone OS 3.0 will work with third-party app data. Is there some way Omni can offer up an index of OmniFocus items for the Spotlight search mechanism?

-Dennis

Hi Dennis

Yes you are right. I guess I was hoping that the existence of spotlight searching means that behind the scenes searching was easier. Actually I also just did an experiment on my mac and found that Spotlight finds entries in Omnifocus. Be nice if that worked on the iPhone.

Regards -Michael

Last edited by mmurray; 2009-06-03 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Corrected last sentence to read `on the iPhone' instead of `on the mac' where it works already.

Michael, did you mean "on the phone" in your last post?

I'm unsure if the spotlight search on the phone works, but in-app searching is coming to OmniFocus/iPhone.

Yes sorry Brian I'll edit it.

Thanks - Michael

That capability to do spotlight searching is supposed to be in iPhone 3.0 update probably available either this month or next (rumor). Will OF be able to take advantage of that?

J.

I'm not sure about OmniFocus, but this video on Apple's site makes it sound like Spotlight search in iPhone OS 3.0 only searches for the names of third-party apps (in addition to the contents of several Apple apps).

Scroll to about the 11:55 mark for the section on Spotlight search.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/

Hopefully, there's some way for third-party apps to tie into this further. Maybe we'll hear more once the Omni folks get back from WWDC.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-06-08 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: An actual link to the video would be probably helpful. ;-)

Yeah, the spotlight search only works with a handful of default apple apps and it can be used as an 'app launcher' where you can type in the name of any application and it will come up as a result as well.

However, I'm pretty certain it cannot index 3rd party data (yet).