The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF iPhone HTML Export Script Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
this script seems to be amazing! but i can't install it, on leopard i'm stuck with installing : "sudo gem install rb-appscript" ,
I get this:
pc20:~ misha$ sudo gem install rb-appscript
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

ruby extconf.rb install rb-appscript
can't find header files for ruby.

I'm not running Leopard yet, but I wonder if you need to install the Developer Tools for the native extensions build to work. Have you installed the Developer Tools for Leopard?

Curt

Hi

here is the script I've been using for a week or two to export my OF tasks into a Safari (data)bookmark to make my tasks available even when I'm offline.

The html export script is based on the script in the beginning of this thread but I had to simplify the html a bit (and remove almost all javascript) since Safari seems to have problems with it when used as a bookmark.

I'm running this script as a Launch Agent every second hour, configured using Lingon so the bookmark/data is up to date the next time I'm syncing my iPhone.

Please backup you bookmarks and other data before running it. I'm not responsible for any data loss, so please be careful.

Installation:
  1. Unzip the files wherever you like
  2. Create a new bookmark in Safari with address "data:text/html". Choose a name you like (mine is "ToDo")
  3. Make sure you have Apple's Developer Tools installed (can be found at developer.apple.com or on your OS X installation disk
  4. If you're not on Leopard, install Rubygems
  5. Install the markaby gem: "sudo gem install markaby" from the Terminal
  6. Install the appscript gem: "sudo gem install rb-appscript" from the Terminal
  7. Run the .app script and see if your tasks get exported

Make sure you have set iTunes to sync Safari's bookmarks.
The script is kind of a hack so you might need to fix it (like change the path to growlnotify) but it works for me like this.

Note: It's the .app or the ruby (.rb) script you should use, the other files (css, js etc) are just helpers.

Get it here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	of-1.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	364   Click image for larger version

Name:	of-2.jpg
Views:	1181
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	365  

Last edited by haraldmartin; 2007-11-13 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: better instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by haraldmartin View Post
Hi

here is the script I've been using for a week or two to export my OF tasks into a Safari (data)bookmark to make my tasks available even when I'm offline.

The html export script is based on the script in the beginning of this thread but I had to simplify the html a bit (and remove almost all javascript) since Safari seems to have problems with it when used as a bookmark.

I'm running this script as a Launch Agent every second hour, configured using Lingon so the bookmark/data is up to date the next time I'm syncing my iPhone.

Please backup you bookmarks and other data before running it. I'm responsible for any data loss, so please be careful.

Installation:
  1. Unzip the files wherever you like
  2. Create a new bookmark in Safari with address "data:text/html". Choose a name you like (mine is "ToDo")
  3. Run the .app script and see if your tasks get exported

Make sure you have set iTunes to sync Safari's bookmarks.
The script is kind of a hack so you might need to fix it (like change the path to growlnotify) but it works for me like this.

Note: It's the .app or the ruby (.rb) script you should use, the other files (css, js etc) are just helpers.

Get it here
Thanks SO much for posting this. I got an error that I am attaching. I am running Leopard, so I am unsure if it's related to this. Any suggestions? Thanks SO much again... Martin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error Message.jpg
Views:	1690
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	366  

Sorry, forgot to add this to the installation instruktions. Make sure you have Apple's Developer Tools installed (they're free on your OS X installation disk or on developer.apple.com). Then you'll need to install two gems to make it work. Just do this in the Terminal (Applications → Utilities → Terminal):

If you're not on Leopard, you'll need to make sure Rubygems is installed. Then install the gems needed:

sudo gem install markaby
sudo gem install rb-appscript

Ciao
Martin

Last edited by haraldmartin; 2007-11-14 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: better installation instructions

Quote:
Sorry, forgot to add this to the installation instruktions. You'll need to install to gems to make work, just do this in the Terminal (Applications → Utilities → Terminal):

sudo gem install markaby
sudo gem install appscript

Ciao
Please correct:
1st ocmmand worked but last one should be:
Code:
otherwise you'll get:
Code:
computer:~ misha$ sudo gem install appscript
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
    Could not find appscript (> 0) in any repository
computer:~ misha$

Last edited by granin; 2007-11-10 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Solved problem by myself

Quote:
Sorry, forgot to add this to the installation instruktions. You'll need to install to gems to make work, just do this in the Terminal (Applications → Utilities → Terminal):

sudo gem install markaby
sudo gem install appscript

Ciao
One last question. The first install worked fine. It asked me if I wanted to install dependencies and I said yes.

When installing the 'appscript' I get the following error:

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::GemNotFoundException)
Could not find appscript (> 0) in any repository

Any advice is welcomed. I am so eager to try this! :) Thanks.

Sorry, the second gem to install should be "rb-appscript" so type:

and it will work. Thanks granin :)

When I run rb-appscript in terminal I get the following error:

Last login: Tue Nov 20 10:47:36 on ttys000
TeallMac:~ teall$ sudo gem install rb-appscript
Password:
Need to update 13 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
complete

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.4.0 for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.4.0/gem_make.out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teall View Post
When I run rb-appscript in terminal I get the following error:

Last login: Tue Nov 20 10:47:36 on ttys000
TeallMac:~ teall$ sudo gem install rb-appscript
Password:
Need to update 13 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
complete

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.4.0 for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rb-appscript-0.4.0/gem_make.out
Have you installed Apple Developer Tools?