The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Spell Checking and Localisation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

My first post here concerns spell checking and localisation.

As you can guess from the title, I am from the UK, and noticed that UK English words such as 'armoured' or 'localisation' are marked as mis-spelled.

My regional settings are set to the United Kingdom, so I'm wondering if there is some other setting I have missed (a recent Windows to Mac switcher talking!)

The second question concerns whether I can turn off spell checking selectively, or add new words to an OOP dictionary to remove those little red squiggles.

I am making a list of old SF magazines and games, and they contain titles and article names that do not exist in the English language. Seeing a sea of red is a little disconcerting!

Go to the Edit->Spelling->Spelling... menu, where you will find that you can control all of these things.

Argh, thank you - a school boy error!

I saw those menus but didn't think to try them because they don't have ellipses after them suggesting a dialogue box.

I assumed it had to be some setting inside OSX itself.

Last edited by MarkH; 2009-03-26 at 01:37 PM..

That appears to be a standard facility provided by Apple as it appears identically in TextEdit and Safari. The learned words appear to be stored in Library/Spelling/ in your home directory, but I don't think it is intended for you to alter that file directly.

Just to emphasise the point, the spelling checker is a system wide service offered by the OS, so any words you 'Learn' (via e.g. right clicking a highlighted word) in OmniOutliner or any other app that uses it will also be remembered in every other app.