The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

styles Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
Is that in the plan to make it settable as a style just like font and color etc..?

J.
It is not planned for 4.0.

The level styles used in OmniOutliner 3 have been added back into OmniOutliner 4. Based on user feedback and our own exploration, we decided it was best to restore these. We have not removed any functionality from named styles themselves though and existing files will continue to function the same way. However, your existing files will likely have two sets of "level styles" now. The named styles labeled Level 1-5, and "Level X rows" right underneath the Whole Document style.

If you were using the named styles I would recommend switching to using the real level styles instead. Unfortunately, there is not an easy way to make this transition at the moment. As always, if you need any help with this, feel free to contact support.

Thank you for sending in your feedback!

Thanks for this switch. Compared to OO3, this has been very challenging.

Is there any way to select all instances of a particular level?

Thanks!

Not without scripting. What are you trying to do?

I am trying to fix my formatting.

In OO3, I could make a quick outline say 3 levels deep and not worry about formatting. Later, I could "select all level two" rows and change the formatting or "select all level three" rows to change the formatting.

I'm playing now and it doesn't look like I need to select all of a particular level to change the formatting.

Yeah, you can just modify the row level styles. It is true in OO3 that the rows appeared selected when you clicked on a row level, but that was part of the style matrix UI which has been removed, and not necessary for formatting.

I'm glad you added this functionality back into OO4.

Two comments/questions:
1. If you have a named style and a level style is also applied is there a hierarchy or priority to those? Can you cancel either/or completely?

2. Can you add the ability to have or not have a checkbox into the style instead of all or nothing checkboxes?

J.

Quote:
1. If you have a named style and a level style is also applied is there a hierarchy or priority to those? Can you cancel either/or completely?
Basically, anything that's more specific has higher priority. Level styles apply to all rows of that level no matter what. Named styles are applied to individual rows so they are more specific. If you want to cancel the named style, you would just remove it from the row. You can not opt out of the level style aside from applying styles to the row that contradict the level style.

Quote:
2. Can you add the ability to have or not have a checkbox into the style instead of all or nothing checkboxes?
With the current system, no. You can set the status of a row to 'none' though, through Edit -> Set Status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Basically, anything that's more specific has higher priority. Level styles apply to all rows of that level no matter what. Named styles are applied to individual rows so they are more specific. If you want to cancel the named style, you would just remove it from the row. You can not opt out of the level style aside from applying styles to the row that contradict the level style.

With the current system, no. You can set the status of a row to 'none' though, through Edit -> Set Status.
Thanks, let me play with that a bit. On the first point -

If I define, say, a style for all level one rows that is bold and then I create another named style that is not bold and apply it, what does it look like? So is it that the last style applied is the one that sticks?

I just tested this out and it seems really inconsistent to me and results in a sort of screwed up style after you make a number or changes. It would seem that there ought to be some sort of hierarchy as to what gets applied where and when.

J.

Can you give me a specific example please? Might be easier to move this to email so we can send files back and forth. The problem with your bold example is that regular font weight (non-bold) can not be applied to a named style. This is because default style attributes can not be applied to named styles, and this is a whole separate issue. If it was possible, the result would be non-bold.

An example that will work is:
-Set "Level 1 rows" to have a font color of blue
-Create named style "red text" that sets font color to red
-Apply named style "red text" to any given level 1 row, the result will be red text

There is a strict hierarchy and if you are not seeing that, then it's possible there is a bug. However, you may be confused in that unless style attributes conflict, they are additive no matter how it's being applied.