The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problem: Due Soon Number For project with no actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here is another problem with not being able to see a project with completed actions and no uncompleted actions.

The due soon number shows up in my context, but the project does not show up. This can be difficult to track down.

Test case:
Set up a project called Test Project
Set it to repeat with a start date of yesterday & due date of today
give it a context named (test context)
create an action called test action
give it a context named (test context)

Switch to context view
select test context
notice the overdue number is 2
complete the test action
notice the overdue number is 1

But there is no way of ever seeing what that 1 is referring to?
The only way to find it is to switch over to the project view
and sort by due date
to find that the pesky project is sitting there

Expected Behavior:
Someway, somehow, that project needs to show up in the context view so that I know to either complete it or add actions that move it toward completion.

Quote:
Someway, somehow, that project needs to show up in the context view so that I know to either complete it or add actions that move it toward completion.
LOL. I'm with you 100%, Spiral, but after hundreds of posts on the topic, I think we've lost that battle.

Maybe the battle's been lost... but it will continue to be brought up, and not just by me. :-)

As others begin to work with the application, they will stumble upon this. I've already seen it happen.

I understand Omni's point. They are working with a design theory. The theory is... a parent is always an organizational tool and therefore shouldn't show up as an action.

Even if it was an action at some point, and children were added to it... the action has now been promoted to an organizational tool and should not show up as an action when the children have been completed.

I don't agree wholeheartedly with the point.
But if it is an organizational tool... then it shouldn't show up as a due number in the context list.

It's in nomans land right now. Part organizational tool, and part action to complete.

It's very close to Apple's design theology of a one button mouse. Which personally, I don't mind.

Apple stuck to the one button mouse out of a principle.
But it's such an easy thing to right click on something, that most professional applications take advantage of it.

Personally, I didn't and still don't mind holding down the control key to click the mouse for a contextual menu. In fact, it's probably better for Carpel Tunnel. However, I love the mighty mouse... the best of both worlds. One button, with optional right click.

If Apple hadn't stuck to their philosophy of the one button mouse, the mighty mouse never would have been born.

"but who am I to blow against the wind..."

Why in the world would a project with one action show up with two items being overdue?

I understand the point about no way to find projects with no actions, of course. It just seems there's a bigger issue about how projects and actions get handled. There's no logical reason I can think of why projects with a due date and no action show up as due unless that "project" is itself an action.

It seems clear that the architecture of OF started out with projects and actions being the same, and that changed at some point, and now we're stuck with a weird mishmash of project/action confusion.

I see you have the same concern, SpiralOcean....

We've talked about this a bunch at Omni and we certainly aren't ruling out showing action group headers or project headers in context mode when the next action is to either confirm that the group is done or that more actions need to be done.

The problem is simply a finite amount of time to get the app out the door. Andrew and others came up with some good ideas on this, but they'd require a bunch more UI work.

So, I'd encourage people to use Help > Send Feedback and mention <bug://bugs/39525> (Request: give user option of completing or extending project/group from the context view (if they've completed all actions))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
We've talked about this a bunch at Omni and we certainly aren't ruling out showing action group headers or project headers in context mode when the next action is to either confirm that the group is done or that more actions need to be done.

The problem is simply a finite amount of time to get the app out the door. Andrew and others came up with some good ideas on this, but they'd require a bunch more UI work.

So, I'd encourage people to use Help > Send Feedback and mention <bug://bugs/39525> (Request: give user option of completing or extending project/group from the context view (if they've completed all actions))
Thank you Tim.

It always helps to know what's going on behind the scenes.