The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Action groups on due list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Note that context mode does show hierarchical actions, just a little differently than Project mode. It puts child rows *above* their parents; since you have to complete the child before you can complete the parent, it's optimized around a top-to-bottom order. Both parent and child are visible, though.

Yes, I know this method.. But a lot of my actions have a big hierarchy, for example:

PROJ_1
**Module_1
****Make DB tables
****Make controller
****Make view
**Module_2
****Make DB tables
****Make controller
****Make view
(and there may be 2..3 levels)

And so, if I'll be in context mode, and all this actions are Due Soon, I'll recieve something like this:

PROJ_1
****Make DB tables
****Make controller
****Make view
****Make DB tables
****Make controller
****Make view

And I'll not understand which action is from which module..

Quote:
Note that context mode does show hierarchical actions, just a little differently than Project mode. It puts child rows *above* their parents; since you have to complete the child before you can complete the parent, it's optimized around a top-to-bottom order. Both parent and child are visible, though.
Yes, it's a bit helpful, but when I have a lot of actions it is not very good thing, I prefer to hide parents from view.

So, if it's no decision now in OmniFocus for this, can I make a feature request for it? :)

OmniFocus is the best GTD app i know, but this little thing is what I really need.

Last edited by Ksenos; 2011-10-21 at 11:13 AM..

I'm struggling with a problem similar (possibly equal) to Ksenos'. But Brian's above solution doesn't work in my case, because it shows *all* projects, rather than just my currently selected project.

My use cases are to

(a) In a project perspective, select a current folder full of closely-related projects, and then

(b) Still in a project perspectives, step through 3 different perspectives showing me which of those projects' actions are DUE, FLAGGED, and NEXT. Note this requires retaining my current Project selection (so that the perspectives do *not* reset that selection).

I can achieve those use cases for actions that are Flagged and Next. But any attempt to show Due actions within a Project perspective inexplicably insists on showing entire project's actions, instead of just the "Due" actions within the selected projects. Contrast this with the sensible behavior that OF exhibits when showing "flagged" and "next" actions.

Brian's solutions works, provided we jettison the Folder/Project selection. Alternatively, I can "Focus" on my targeted Folder in the perspective view, then invoke Brian's solution which retains the focus on my projects. It's a workaround I can live with, but it's odd having to shoehorn "Focus" into my routine where "Selection" should work just fine.

(Is there any rationale for showing non-due actions in a "Status: Due" Project perspective? If the intent is to let Projects inherit a "Due" state, then perhaps this behavior can be put into a preference, instead of being hard-wired into the filter behavior, giving users the option to make "Due Soon" behave the same as "Flagged" or "Next Action" WRT display of its parents.)