The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location vs Person vs Resource Context Dilema Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I've been using OmniFocus for well over a year now, reading through David Allen's book in addition to dozens of GTD articles / posts out there. The one thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around is the Location / Person / Resource context divide.

I understand that contexts are meant to be used to filter out tasks that only apply based on the current situation, location, resource availability, etc. Furthermore, these contexts are supposed to be in the most simplest form possible to avoid over complexity and constant fidgeting.

The problem I have is figuring out how to organize contexts that do (could) exist in multiple locations.

For example:

Computer: Office vs Office: Computer

While I'm in the office I can access my computer there (location) while I could also technically access the same resource VPN'd in from virtually anywhere... The overlapping / duplicate organization issue continues when you start trying to put in Computer: Online or Computer: Online: Amazon contexts which could technically apply to virtually any computing device (but could also pertain to a specific device at a specific location).

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue in not knowing how contexts should ultimately be organized and trying to avoid undue complexity to the system?

I wonder if there would be a way to create an AppleScript that would duplicate (linked) contexts that are organized in different locations...