The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Scrolling in Location-based Contexts. Bug? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Before I email this into the Ninjas as a bug, I'd like to ask other Members whether they believe it is or not.

When I try to enter a location-based context, I cannot scroll down to the options without first going into the 'status' field (I've attached a pic. to show where I'm at). I'm always bounced back to the first field on attempting to scroll down.

I've also discovered that I cannot edit a 'location', only delete it completely and start from scratch.

I'd appreciate any advice as to whether any other Members perceive this as a 'bug' (or two!) before I email Omni.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg
Views:	1037
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1469  

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-01 at 02:13 PM..

Hit "Done" to close the keyboard and you should have access to the options.

Last edited by ifonline; 2010-07-02 at 06:08 AM..

ifonline,
Thank you for your response. Just tested your answer and you are absolutely right. I feel suitably foolish! May I ask, is there any way to edit a location based context? Thank you.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-01 at 02:48 PM..

If I remember correctly, there isn't a way to edit them. I seem to remember filing a feature request for that ability at some point, though. If you email us, we can attach you to that item, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
ifonline,
Thank you for your response. Just tested your answer and you are absolutely right. I feel suitably foolish! May I ask, is there any way to edit a location based context? Thank you.
Don't feel foolish. Simple mistake really.

Last edited by ifonline; 2010-07-02 at 06:08 AM..

Brian, thank you for your input. Let me give you an example string: A UK location based context = harrods OR selfridges OR "harvey nichols". From my point of view, it's soul destroying (!) if you enter 'selfredges' in the middle and have to start over, or you want to add or delete criteria to an existing search, especially as location-based contexts can't be entered on a laptop but have to be tapped out on the iPhone. I'm not sure if adding the ability to edit location-based contexts is a big issue. But, if it isn't, I'd be grateful for a fix. Thank you.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-02 at 01:14 AM..

Thanks ifonline. You didn't make me feel like an idiot.

Copy and paste is your friend. Use the Notes app, or SimpleNote or even just a dummy action in OmniFocus to compose/edit your location string, select it all, copy, then paste into the search string for the context location...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Copy and paste is your friend. Use the Notes app, or SimpleNote or even just a dummy action in OmniFocus to compose/edit your location string, select it all, copy, then paste into the search string for the context location...
Thank you, whpalmer4, for the work around. But my original question remains. Is the inability to edit a context-based location a bug? If the entry of an 'action' required your solution, as you detailed above, would you view you it as a bug?

Thanks.

I've always just accepted it as something that could be improved, but to me, it doesn't seem to be a bug. It isn't behaving in a fashion contrary to the documentation, it doesn't lose or corrupt my data, it doesn't behave unpredictably or crash the program. If that screen had other similar spots for entering data, and this was the only one that didn't allow editing an existing entry, I still might not call it a bug, but I would certainly be pushing for improvement to equal functionality!

It's clearly something that could be improved. If that is important to you, you know the drill, Send Feedback or email omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com so they know you want them to improve it. I spend more time entering test contexts to answer forum questions than I do making changes to my own context locations, I think! I prefer to direct my votes towards changes that will have a bigger impact on me, or the occasional changes that I think really ought to be made even if they won't affect me.