The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New to Omniweb w/3 questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
And to add to what TommyW said, if you use the search shortcut Keyword in the address bar (eg. google), type out your search string then hit command+return it will open in a new tab.
So if I get this right, you're saying that if I hit command+return after typing something in the google search bar (top right corner) it should open in a new tab? Just beeps for me. Only does something when I hit return without the command key held down. Geeze, me and beeps. Strange huh?

oh. this doesn't work. you can command-return in the location bar to have it open whatever you select in a new tab but not in the search field.

I'd love to see this working myself as it's a little silly that it doesn't since it works right next door in the location field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
oh. this doesn't work. you can command-return in the location bar to have it open whatever you select in a new tab but not in the search field.

I'd love to see this working myself as it's a little silly that it doesn't since it works right next door in the location field.
Cool. Glad to know I'm not crazy. Can we add this as a feature request?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult
Forrest, make sure only one tab (on left) is open and see if it beeps for you.
Just tried it. fn+left and fn+right, with one tab open, doesn't give me any sort of beep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult
So if I get this right, you're saying that if I hit command+return after typing something in the google search bar (top right corner) it should open in a new tab? Just beeps for me. Only does something when I hit return without the command key held down. Geeze, me and beeps. Strange huh?
What troy said, and you don't need to use the search field. Here's a link that explains it: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node...&lastnode_id=0

Forrest - command-up/down will.

Edit: as will command-left and command-right without the fn key - my guess is that ult wasn't pressing the fn key when he made that response and therefore wasn't actually selecting home/end.

Last edited by JKT; 2007-03-06 at 11:21 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Forrest - command-up/down will.
Right, but what he originally said was:
Quote:
with respect to the home key, on a mac laptop, the home key (left arrow) kicks off a beep as well.
Hitting the home key (fn+left arrow) doesn't beep for me. It may with command+up/down, but what he said was home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Right, but what he originally said was:

Hitting the home key (fn+left arrow) doesn't beep for me. It may with command+up/down, but what he said was home.
True ... but the key says "home" on it, and it remains possible that he forgot that he had to press fn at the same time to access the Home function ... Only he can answer that one.
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese
True ... but the key says "home" on it, and it remains possible that he forgot that he had to press fn at the same time to access the Home function ... Only he can answer that one.
Mark
Yup! I in factwas not using Fn to access home. :) So yes you're correct. But that wasn't my original concern. It was that I was replicating what I was doing on other browsers (ff, camino, safari) and got in the habit of: command+up and command+down = home/end which makes sense. Think about it... you're using down to scroll down a long web page, and to get to the bottom just add command. Thus I wanted to see if that functionality lended itself into Omniweb since I was in the habit. Turns out it does not and we're forced to use Fn + left arrow (apple's default for home). That's really what we're after. I was used to the other browsers' home feature ease of use. That's all.:)

Last edited by ult; 2007-03-09 at 08:21 AM..