The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New to Omniweb w/3 questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Long time Camino user. Just started using Omniweb as of last night. I must say I'm quite impressed with it's level of detail (tab previews) as well as the ability to customize prefs on a per site basis. Wow.

Anyway, three quick questions for the new omniweb user here:

1) when I type some text in the google search in the top right corner and hit return, any way to get it to open in a new tab instead of a replacing my current window? (as if it say I command clicked on a search)

2) I used to be able to move to top of page (home) with COMMAND + uparrow. Omniweb just beeps at me. Same with end or bottom of page: COMMAND + downarrow. Safari and Camino allow it.

3) with respect to the tab previews on the left, is it possible to move the X close button on each preview from bottom left to bottom right?

2. The more standard behavior between browsers is the home key moves you to the top of the page and the end key moves you to the bottom. You can also use space to move down in increments, and shift+space to move up in increments.

Hi Ult...you're asking for two changes there aside from the one Forrest answered. If you would like these as options the best way is to use the Send Feedback request under OW's help menu.

If you're exploring...something you might like is to add new search engines to the search bar.

If you navigate to Wikipedia say (or any page with a query bar in it), click in the search box in the wikipedia sidebar and you'll notice in the bottom right of the main window a small magnifying glass. Click on it and a dialog box will drop down.

It'll have a long title which you can shorten but leave the 'shortcut' name alone. Click OK.

You've added a new search shortcut. Check the drop down menu at the side of the search bar at the top... you can choose the other search engine other than Google. You can do this for Flickr, Rotten Tomatoes, YouTube... whatever.

Last edited by TommyW; 2007-03-05 at 08:17 AM..

And to add to what TommyW said, if you use the search shortcut Keyword in the address bar (eg. google), type out your search string then hit command+return it will open in a new tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
2. The more standard behavior between browsers is the home key moves you to the top of the page and the end key moves you to the bottom. You can also use space to move down in increments, and shift+space to move up in increments.
with respect to the home key, on a mac laptop, the home key (left arrow) kicks off a beep as well. Thus on the laptop and other browsers (camino/safari/firefox) command + uparrow causes a home key response of moving to top of page. Conversely with the downarrow/end.

2. Command-up and command-down in OmniWeb are to move between tabs. To move to the end and top of pages, you will need to select home and end on your laptop which means pressing the function (fn) key along with the left and right arrows. Personally, I find it easier just to hit space or shift-space a few times to page down and up.

3. Nope. Personally, I'm hoping that the next version will have the x on the thumbnail itself so you can see an extra 2 or 3 characters or so of the title (it'd also be nice if you could select for it to wrap to more than one line). Either that or I have managed to afford a 24" iMac by then so that I can have huge thumbnails where I can read the content ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
2. Command-up and command-down in OmniWeb are to move between tabs. To move to the end and top of pages, you will need to select home and end on your laptop which means pressing the function (fn) key along with the left and right arrows. Personally, I find it easier just to hit space or shift-space a few times to page down and up.

3. Nope. Personally, I'm hoping that the next version will have the x on the thumbnail itself so you can see an extra 2 or 3 characters or so of the title (it'd also be nice if you could select for it to wrap to more than one line). Either that or I have managed to afford a 24" iMac by then so that I can have huge thumbnails where I can read the content ;)
ahh, that makes sense. seems like the other browsers were just appeasing me with the command uparrows. Very clear answer though. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult
with respect to the home key, on a mac laptop, the home key (left arrow) kicks off a beep as well. Thus on the laptop and other browsers (camino/safari/firefox) command + uparrow causes a home key response of moving to top of page. Conversely with the downarrow/end.
Strange, it doesn't do that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Strange, it doesn't do that for me.
Forrest, make sure only one tab (on left) is open and see if it beeps for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult
Forrest, make sure only one tab (on left) is open and see if it beeps for you.
It beeps because you don't have any tabs to switch between.