The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pert Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm going to toss out a request for PERT charts.

In other project management software I use, I often find myself beginning with a PERT chart. Perhaps it is the right-brain part of me that likes this, but there is something quite satisfying about seeing your project arranged in front of you.

As a bonus for The Omni Group, if you were to connect OmniPlan to OmniGraffle like you are connecting it to OmniOutliner...well, you folks are brilliant enough to see how that might come together!

sjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjtryon
I'm going to toss out a request for PERT charts.

In other project management software I use, I often find myself beginning with a PERT chart. Perhaps it is the right-brain part of me that likes this, but there is something quite satisfying about seeing your project arranged in front of you.

As a bonus for The Omni Group, if you were to connect OmniPlan to OmniGraffle like you are connecting it to OmniOutliner...well, you folks are brilliant enough to see how that might come together!

sjt
You can actually export from OmniPlan to OmniGraffle as a PERT chart by going to 'File' > 'Export' and selecting OmniGraffle from the format drop-down menu.

We do have a feature request in our database to implement PERT charting features within OmniPlan, so I'll add a vote to this for you. :-)

You can add my vote for PERT chart capability. :)

Vote added Kastorff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post
You can actually export from OmniPlan to OmniGraffle as a PERT chart by going to 'File' > 'Export' and selecting OmniGraffle from the format drop-down menu.

We do have a feature request in our database to implement PERT charting features within OmniPlan, so I'll add a vote to this for you. :-)
If the request is still in your DB, please add my vote as well. I always try to start my planning going from my Work Breakdown Structure into PERT. I really only use the Gantt for progress tracking.

Many thanks

Please add my vote for PERT charts also

Votes added!

I use Pert charts extensively and only output Gantt when others ask for it. It takes to much effort to mange the start-to-finish, finish-to-finish, and other dependencies in a project with Gantt. Gantt does not display the relationships well and is even worse for people who are visually oriented (aka Mac users?).

Without Pert, this application is significantly underpowered. Fortunately for Omni, the other applications are either unwieldy, have badly designed interfaces which make them hard to use, or are just plain visually offensive. The first clean Mac-ish project management app that includes Pert will become my team's mainstay and we leave OmniPlan in the dust.

Omni simply does not take end user requests like this seriously. We have been requesting Pert for years. Just look a the dates on this forum… 2007.

Is OmniPlan the only mainstream project planning app that does not have Pert chart functionality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerniuk View Post

Omni simply does not take end user requests like this seriously. We have been requesting Pert for years. Just look a the dates on this forum… 2007.
Consider the possibility that your pet feature request has not been asked for by as many users as other features they have added...or that it is among the features slated for OmniPlan 2.0. Both of those scenarios would produce the same outcome (OmniPlan 1.6.4 does not have PERT), yet are in complete contradiction to your hypothesis (Omni does not take end user requests seriously).

Multiple project support, repeating tasks, and task splitting are just a few things that seem to be requested more often than PERT charts, at least judging by forum postings.