The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Number totals from column Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've created an inventory outline for insurance purposes listing household items that are covered ... a column for what I paid for them, and another column for how much they're insured for.

How can I get a total at the bottom of each column?

Convert the column into a Number type and under Summary select Total. The section heading for that column will update to show you the totals of any sub-section values. Note, it will only show the sum the total of that section and not provide you with a total for all sections. Therefore, if you have a series of sections in your outline, you will need to create a "master" top-level section for all of them and convert them to subsections first.

To see how this works, view the films I've created demonstrating this here (~2MB) and here (~3MB). The first shows the basics, the second how to use sections and sub-sections to obtain a grand total for the whole outline, by having a "master" for all the subsections.

Thanks Jonathan. I tried this, but as soon as I added indented levels below the level where I've entered the number, the number disappears and the area grays out. In other words, as long as the numbers are entered in the lowest level of the outline (i.e., the most indented level), the numbers column works. As soon as there are more-indented levels without numbers, it doesn't.

Any way around this?

If you think about it, it makes some sense - the sub-section heading is giving you the total of any sub-sub sections. If you could input a figure into that sub-section heading, then it would no longer be the total of the sub-sub-sections.

However, how you get around this I don't know. It seems that you need to have your outline set-up as is before you can use it in this way...

I get it. Alas, the only workaround I can think of is to make sure that the cell I enter the numbers in is the lowest level. Which is structurally a problem for this particular outline, so I'm hoping someone figures something else out.

If you watch my screen casts again, the cell doesn't have to be the absolute lowest level, it just can't be a section or sub-section heading. Any sections or sub-sections that don't have any levels lower than them can have figures input in their number columns. So structurally all you have to make sure is that you create new (sub-)section headings for your current content to take the role of the (sub-)total field for that (sub-)section.