The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Searching in OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello

I cannot search to "words" in projects or tasks when they closed. Is it right ?

What means the blue colour when I type a letter or word in the search field.
Only a mark that I use searching at moment ?

Jochen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochen View Post
I cannot search to "words" in projects or tasks when they closed. Is it right ?
You can search for any items that still exist in your main database (i.e. items that haven't been deleted or archived). But, those items must be visible with the current view bar settings. So if you want to search on completed actions, set your action filter to completed or to all items.

If you've already moved those completed item to your archive database, however, you'll need to perform the search there rather than in your main database. In all other respects, the archive database behaves the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jochen View Post
What means the blue colour when I type a letter or word in the search field. Only a mark that I use searching at moment ?
Yes, the search field highlights when your items are being filtered by an active search. I wish more OS X apps would adopt this very handy feature.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
You can search for any items that still exist in your main database (i.e. items that haven't been deleted or archived). But, those items must be visible with the current view bar settings. So if you want to search on completed actions, set your action filter to completed or to all items.
Just one tiny bit of clarification: by "visible" Dennis means that if you fully expanded all of the rows in the display, the item in question would appear. It doesn't have to actually be in sight for the search to work, however. So if you save a perspective that is grouped by due date, for example, and save the perspective with many of the groups closed, if your search target occupies one of the closed groups, it will still be found by the search, but it won't be displayed unless you open that group. Searching in your "today" view will still find things that are due tomorrow or last week, so long as they would be visible in the "today" view if everything was expanded.

Hopefully I haven't made things less clear :-)

Thanks Dennis and whpalmer4

Jochen