The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New OmniFocus 2 for iOS7 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For clarification:
I think it wouldn't be as bad if Omni just came out and said "Out version 1s have been out for X years, and after this long a time and this much developement we want, need and/or simply deserve to ask for full price again." That would still leave the people who came to it later on out in the rain, but that's bad luck.
But instead what I see is OmniOutliner for iPad, which cost me 12 Euros and which now costs 27 Euros to upgrade, and the explanation is "we don't want to offend anyone with lower prices".
Sorry, doesn't work for me.

I bought but OmniFocus 2 now, although I had only first hesitated due to buying new and full-price.

But I'm happy now that I've made and find OmniFocus 2 perfect.
There's still something bothers me some, but I think this is adjusted still.

1. Somehow the background sync not working properly.
2. I'd like, if OmniFocus 2 would soon be in German.

And in particular I am looking forward to OmniFocus 2 for iPad.
I hope it won't be long now.

I have Omnifocus2 for a few days now and no longer miss the design of Omnifocus1.

Greeting Jörg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
For clarification:
I think it wouldn't be as bad if Omni just came out and said "Out version 1s have been out for X years, and after this long a time and this much developement we want, need and/or simply deserve to ask for full price again." That would still leave the people who came to it later on out in the rain, but that's bad luck.
But instead what I see is OmniOutliner for iPad, which cost me 12 Euros and which now costs 27 Euros to upgrade, and the explanation is "we don't want to offend anyone with lower prices".
Sorry, doesn't work for me.

Omniplan2 is also around 10 euros more expensive and there I wait also.
Have not yet properly incorporated into Omniplan1 me, because it has been translated into German only recently.

You should always think, if a software is completely rewritten, is this time and work and of which the manufacturer wants to live.

Problem with the Apple, they have built no update function, because then it would be easier for all software vendors.

Greeting Jörg

Bought OF2 for the iPhone. Don't like it. The pastely icons, skinny-hipster jeans font that is hard to read against a white background, the enormous circles on the right side. Ugh. Really? This is the future of iOS design? I think it's all veneer. Haven't decided if I'm going back to the old version.

As for the whiners who are experiencing "internet outrage" over a $20 application. Hey, geniuses. You're using a phone that probably costs you $1200/year to operate and using a $20 application that organizes a large part of your life THAT you probably won't have to pay for again in the next 3 years.

I'm sure the folks at your local homeless shelter are equally outraged.

Ken, please stop apologizing for the price. And now please get me a copy of OmniFocus 2.0 for the Mac. I've got work to do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc View Post
Bought OF2 for the iPhone. Don't like it. The pastely icons, skinny-hipster jeans font that is hard to read against a white background, the enormous circles on the right side. Ugh. Really? This is the future of iOS design? I think it's all veneer. Haven't decided if I'm going back to the old version.

As for the whiners who are experiencing "internet outrage" over a $20 application. Hey, geniuses. You're using a phone that probably costs you $1200/year to operate and using a $20 application that organizes a large part of your life THAT you probably won't have to pay for again in the next 3 years.

Ken, please stop apologizing for the price. And now please get me a copy of OmniFocus 2.0 for the Mac. I've got work to do....
I went back to OF1 for iPhone today and there's where I'll stay for the rest of the year. For me, OmniFocus and GTD are about list management: boring, structured list management. I find the old version to be more legible and less shiny. I fully support Omnigroup swinging for the fences with OF2 for iPhone. It just doesn't work for me. It will probably be an improvement for others.

Quote:
... the enormous circles on the right side. Ugh. Really? This is the future of iOS design?
Unlikely I think – those just seem to express a residual resistance to iOS deference – defiantly noisy re-claiming of the screen as decorative canvas, complete with an artistic signature :-)

I think that these (and, for that matter, the oversaturated fills of even Apple's iOS7 icons) will become less strident and intrusive with time ...

Quote:

Nail hit firmly on the head, dwc.

I really, really feel people need to get some perspective here. I have each of the three OF versions and have bought OF 2 for iPhone. I don't begrudge that expenditure at all and I'm certainly not rolling around in piles of money here.

I was a software developer for 26 years and I'm now writing apps of my own and when I read some mean, mean comments on the App Store I often want to scream and cry. How are developers meant to get paid? Is there any other product in modern life that seems so indispensable (a mobile phone and/or a computer) for which people expect to shell out so little. Ideally, for nothing. Very expensive phones for 'nothing' on the lowest contracts. Software for nothing and perpetual free upgrades too if you can.

Averaged priced £250,000 houses, £15,000 cars, expensive holidays, meals out at £40-£50 a pop. A round of drinks in a pub costs some youngsters (who clearly have more credit than sense!) about £60 and it's gone in less than an hour.

As I said in an earlier post, OF 2 for iPhone is £14. Step back from your iPhone/iPod for just a moment and look at what else you might pay for in a single week, costing at least £14, and all you now have to show for it is a larger waistline or a debit in your bank statement and some (hopefully good) memories. Seriously.

Why do people apply standards to software pricing that would sound utterly ludicrous in any other area of their life? Think about what you spend regularly without moaning at your "provider". Your electricity bill last week? The cost of a single tank of fuel? One train journey? A takeaway? That £8 DVD you just bought and may watch once more before it gathers dust along with the other 60 or more sitting in your lounge before going on eBay or to the charity shop. The £50 pair of jeans you've had for 2 years but just threw out because they're a bit worn and have a hole in the knee?

Yet here is a piece of software, one you probably use a lot, many, many times a day for years, crafted over months by dozens of experienced and skilled people on a living US wage (not put together in 6 minutes in an mostly automated factory in Vietnam by people hardly paid enough on which to live) and then supported by Ninjas and Omni developers for free for years and you get the OmniSync server thrown in too.

£14.

Come on people. Raise eyes from the App Store, look around the world. Get real. And as dwc? said, please stop apologising for pricing Ken.

I absolutely agree with this sentiment, and have erred towards buying family packs from Omni even when there was only one user in the house, simply because the tools have been useful to me, and I want them to be maintained and renewed.

I suspect that the new sensitivity of demand to price, however, is at least in part a result of the oversupply of mobile apps by developers with low overheads (compounded, no doubt by downward pressure on incomes). People have got used to paying sub-economic amounts, or even to finding free alternatives.

Not an easy environment to operate in, and not made easier by Apple's upgrade pricing inflexibilities.

I guess App Store customers are sending a clear message:
http://mashable.com/2013/10/08/state-of-paid-apps/

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingcow View Post
I guess App Store customers are sending a clear message:
http://mashable.com/2013/10/08/state-of-paid-apps/
I don't know, though. If you look at the top revenue apps, like 98% of them are games, where freemium (sorry, "free to play") rules.

I'm not sure it is really applicable for other classes of apps as much.

Though yeah OmniGroup could always just make OmniFocus for iOS free, and then charge $0.99 for completing a task, and maybe $49.95 for "complete a task" 100-pack ;-)