The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

show all actions without due date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Dear all,

i am pretty new to omni focus and i am trying to generate a perspective that shows all actions / projects that have not been assigned a due date yet.

Often I just dump all tasks on mind to omni focus, later i start composing a bit, most of the time just be assigned contexts. If I get really busy and the list gets packed, IŽd love to set some priorities, e.g. assigned due dates later on.

thx for any help in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ran2 View Post
Dear all,

i am pretty new to omni focus and i am trying to generate a perspective that shows all actions / projects that have not been assigned a due date yet.

Often I just dump all tasks on mind to omni focus, later i start composing a bit, most of the time just be assigned contexts. If I get really busy and the list gets packed, IŽd love to set some priorities, e.g. assigned due dates later on.

thx for any help in advance
This is the wrong way to use due dates. Arbitrarily assigning due dates so that you later can "see" tasks and as a matter of prioritizing them will lead to stress, and an unworkable system. Having a process of regular reviews (using the built-in review functionality) can help.

That said, just go to context view, show "all tasks" and group by due date. All tasks with no due date will appear in the same section. Where again you SHOULD NOT slap a due date on each and every one of them :-)

CatOne,

thx for BOTH of your advices. Indeed youŽre right, slapping actions with due dates does not help the case. Anyway, it happened to me, that actually none of my tasks had due dates, because the workflow of assigning them through the inspector is more of an effort than just drag an drop them to contexts.
In other words, iŽll just want to use this technique to correct my mistake not assigning a date at once.

thx !

One more voice in the "don't put a due date on everything" chorus :-) I'm really a big fan of using start dates rather than due dates, and use due dates only as a safety net, really.

As you say you are new to OmniFocus, I'll point out a few date handling tips that you might have overlooked.

First, by clicking on the little gear in the column headers (over the scroll bar) of the OF window, you can add or remove various columns from the display, such as the start and due dates. You might find that a more convenient way to add or adjust dates than the inspector.

Second, you can use the inspector to set dates on multiple items simultaneously. If you have a collection of items in the window which need to have tomorrow as their due date, just select them all, using the standard Mac OS X selection tools and clicking on the row handles, then bring up the inspector and set the due date for everything in the selection.

whpalmer ! thx. that little gear helps so much. basically this is the root of my problem. I think I can do better that way in the future. the other tips will help me clean up some mess. thx !