The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

text via Services truncated Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a neat little script that allows me to transfer individual Mori actions and notes entire to OF via services at the click of an icon.

Is there any way to prevent these items from being truncated?

eg. an item titled;

<glebe owes me for hornets, septic tank, electricity,mower>

becomes

<From Mori - MASTER ToDoList 20 — glebe owes me f...>

peter

Is it actually truncated, or is it just that only the first line of the item is displayed? If the latter, see View --> Always Show Complete Row Text.

Curt

thanks Curt - no, the default is to show complete row.
There is definitely truncating, notice the ellipsis at EOL

All entries default to ellipsis after 48 characters ( including space)

peter

I kind of suspect that it's with Mori, since I use the services method all the time and it definitely includes more than 48 characters. Or it could be the script. If you just select the text and use the add to inbox service, does it still happen?

> If you just select the text and use the add to inbox service, does it still happen?

yes.

More on this.
In the above example, the MORI datafile is:
<MASTER ToDoList 20>
I have changed the name of the file to
<MORI1> to reduce character count

The copy, either via services or clipping is still truncated:

eg. the item titled;

<glebe owes me for hornets, septic tank, electricity,mower>

becomes

<From Mori - MORI1 — glebe owes me f...>

IOW, it isn't character counting for the whole string, it's 15 characters maximum plus ellipsis once the source text begins - ie. 'glebe' in this case..

Doing the reverse process OF -> MORI gets me the entire string plus, interestingly, a link in the info field back to the OF entry!

If I choose the MORI entry and send it via services to TextEdit, I get the whole string, with no prefix.

ie.
<glebe owes me for hornets, septic tank. electricity, mower>

gets me

<glebe owes me for hornets, septic tank. electricity, mower>

any ideas?

peter

I checked it out with Mori & I am guessing that it adds the ellipsis because that is what Mori names the window that it is clipping from. For whatever reason, the clipping service puts the name of the window as the name of the action and the selected text as a note. You could probably modify a script posted in the Extras forum to use the text of the selection as the name of the action and avoid the problem.

What script do you suggest? I've trawled Extras a bit and it's a bit confusing first time round :-)
In any case, I want to keep the Mori comment(name)/text(note) relationship as it is since I use the same relationship in OF

peter

Some script for creating a new action in the inbox. I assume that Mori is scriptable; so what I would do is just write up a script for mori that grabs the highlighted text and then construct the text of your new action however you want it; and then use a script from Extras as an example for how you add a new action to the inbox.

ah, OK thx

peter