The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SP16 and vBulletin Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When viewing the forums at http://www.tivocommunity.com/, the "Reply with Quote" and "Quick Reply" buttons that should be at the end of every message (as in these forums) don't appear. It looks like they're running vBulletin 3.0.6.

The buttons appear properly in both the release version of Safari and in nightly 15025.

(As an side, is there a way to find out what nightly version one has beyond comparing the creation date to the list of builds?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams
(As an side, is there a way to find out what nightly version one has beyond comparing the creation date to the list of builds?)
It's in the release notes.

Considering this board is vB, and those features seem to work fine, IMHO it must be an issue with vB that has since been fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
It's in the release notes.
What release notes? All the download contained was two applications, WebKit.app and Drosera.app, and the pre-set start page is a static remote page.

Quote:
Considering this board is vB, and those features seem to work fine, IMHO it must be an issue with vB that has since been fixed.
That's a possibility, but IMHO, it's still worth investigating for a variety of reasons:

- It might not have been a formal bug with vB, but simply an issue with code that just evolved away. That the bug is no longer on display doesn't mean it's not still a bug, and the bug could be with OW. Heck, the code may have even been changed to work around an OW issue (unlikely, I know).

- Even if it is a bug specific to only that version of vB, it's quite likely that a good number of sites are still running that version. Thus, if the work-around is simple enough, it may be worthwhile for the Omni folks to go ahead and do it.

- It may be a generic enough issue that it'll appear on other (non-vB) sites, as well.

- Finally, the problem is present only in OW. The site works fine in the latest release of Safari, it works fine in the latest nightly build of WebKit, and it works fine in Firefox. This pulls the finger in the direction of OW. However, I've not tried the site in the release version of OW nor in the older version of WebKit upon which SP16 is based, so I can't say definitively whether the finger points at OW. Specifically, it's possible that the site won't work in any version of OW (still a problem), or that the problem was just a temporal issue with a handful of past WebKit nightly builds (no longer a problem).

Quote:
What release notes? All the download contained was two applications, WebKit.app and Drosera.app, and the pre-set start page is a static remote page.
I'm confused, are you asking which WebKit build is OW using? You posted the version of the nightly download you were running, so I wasn't thinking you were talking about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
You posted the version of the nightly download you were running, so I wasn't thinking you were talking about that.
That's what I meant. In this case, I simply grabbed the most recent WebKit without paying much attention to the build number, then when I went to make my report, I didn't know what it was. I ended up going back to the download page to find out. Neither the Get Info panel in Finder nor the About box mention the WebKit version, and as far as I can see, there are no release notes in the download.

Interestingly and a bit confusingly, the WebKit site talks about the build number, which it reports as 420+ (and which the about box errantly reports as 419.x.x - obviously, the Safari shell isn't being updated). What makes this all a little confusing is that the words "build" and "version" are constantly being used interchangeably when they aren't always interchangeable, at least assuming their traditional usages if not their dictionary meanings. In fact, I'm not even sure at this point which is actually which. The nightlies are incrementing the 1xxxx number, so I'd consider that the build number, but a *version* number of 420+ after just a couple of years would be extremely unusual. Perhaps it's builds of WebKit versus builds of WebKit-Safari.

In any case, it was the WebKit version/build number that I was trying to figure out without having to reference the creation date against the list on the download page.

Quote:
That's what I meant. In this case, I simply grabbed the most recent WebKit without paying much attention to the build number, then when I went to make my report, I didn't know what it was. I ended up going back to the download page to find out. Neither the Get Info panel in Finder nor the About box mention the WebKit version, and as far as I can see, there are no release notes in the download.
There are several points of confusion here...

The "version" on the WebKit nightly download page refers to the repository revision (the subversion version control system keeps a global repository version number that gets incremented whenever anything changes).

The 419.x is the internal release numbers chosen by Apple to represent public releases (not the nightlies).

However, part of the confusion is that the "WebKit.app" that you download does not actually contain an application, it has a tiny executable that finds the installed Safari.app, sets some environment variables so that it will load a different version of the WebKit frameworks and then runs the installed Safari--so when you ask "WebKit.app" what version it is, you are actually getting the Safari version number for your installed Safari.

I do not know if there is a way to figure out what version of the frameworks are used by a particular version of "WebKit.app"--I usually just keep the .dmg around and run it directly from the mounted disk image.

Quote:
When viewing the forums at http://www.tivocommunity.com/, the "Reply with Quote" and "Quick Reply" buttons that should be at the end of every message (as in these forums) don't appear. It looks like they're running vBulletin 3.0.6.

The buttons appear properly in both the release version of Safari and in nightly 15025.
In regards to this problem, my guess is you're just using the "From third-party sites" ad block setting. If you turn this off for the site the problem should go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
In regards to this problem, my guess is you're just using the "From third-party sites" ad block setting. If you turn this off for the site the problem should go away.
Doh! You're right - that did the trick. In my defense, though, that thought had crossed my mind at the time. I clicked the little icon at the bottom to load pictures, and I tried clicking where I knew the buttons were supposed to be to load them, and no go. Eventually, I realized that this functionality is broken in the SPs, but by then I'd moved on from the forum issue and never put the two together.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth :-).