The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tasks/Projects dissapeared in 1.7 upgrade + archive Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OK how do I replace the OF file that is current with the restored one I've recovered...am afraid to close it and can't figure out how to rename it. Do I just drag and drop replace it, renaming it in the process?

Please advise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofspades View Post
OK how do I replace the OF file that is current with the restored one I've recovered...am afraid to close it and can't figure out how to rename it. Do I just drag and drop replace it, renaming it in the process?
Caution: I'm not conversant with Time Machine, so am not familiar with how Time Machine restores files and how perusing back-ups in Time Machine interacts with your current desktop. You may want to wait until a better versed forum member replies if you are fearful of losing your restored data.

My understanding of Time Machine* is that once you've located the desired back-up, you click it, select Restore, and the restored item is returned to its original location, in this case ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus. If the restored item possesses the same name as another item on your computer, you're prompted to decide if you want to keep the current item, the restored item, or both.

You can preview a back-up file in Time Machine using Quick Look or by double-clicking. It sounds like you did the latter, which would open the data file in an OF window. I assume, having previewed the file, you could close OF, select the back-up data file, and click restore.

[If you're anxious about closing OF with the restored data, you could use OF File > Export and save the file “OmniFocus” as an OmniFocus Document. You could then rename the current default data file and place this exported one in the same folder. (This assumes that Time Machine allows you to save items—items based on previewed but not yet restored data—to your current desktop). I'm doubtful that exporting the data file would be necessary, however. I don't think Time Machine would destroy a back-up file upon closing the file's preview.]

* Restoring files backed up with Time Machine, Mac 101: Time Machine: Restoring specific files or folders

Last edited by kaijin; 2009-09-07 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Inserted reference links.

so I should restore it to this location and delete the extension (backup name so it's just "omnifocus"?ok. will try this now. I restored it to my desktop because I wasn't sure where the OF file is supposed to live and couldn't find documentation on this anywhere on this site/in forums.

I'm trying to use quick entry and the entries are going into a black hole...which I'm sure is related to this issue.

fingers crossed
THANKS

Quote:
Last ditch effort: I restored the file using time machine from before the installation...and it worked! The data is there, but courtesy of Apple Time Machine, not OF. Hmmm.
Your main database may still have all your data, but just be hidden by your current perspective. When you open an alternative database (such as the one from Time Machine), it switches to a default perspective. If you replace your main database with that one and reopen it, your current perspective settings may kick in again and just show you the limited set you were seeing before.

In your main database, did you try selecting "All Items" from the Perspectives menu to see if that shows you your missing data? (That's the best way to reset your perspective to guarantee that you're seeing everything.)

Um ok. Did this now my toolbar doesn't show actions or contexts. Can't fix this either apparently
hmmm

Hi Ken. The data was gone. I used time machine to find a backup which had the data intact and now I'm struggling to set this backup as the central OF file. I just replaced the OmniFocus file with the backup and it disappeared everything again, so I'm back to using a backup file from within the Documents/OmniFocus Backups/ folder named "OmniFocus 2009-09-07 132749"

I've stopped using QuickEntry as it's a black hole situation. All of the notes I've made using this today are awol.

How to set this - "OmniFocus 2009-09-07 132749" - as my main file? renaming it as "OmniFocus" within Lib/AppSupp/OF/ doesn't work as I've just tried.

Can I put it in the ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/ directory under a new name and will OF give the option of which file to use or alternately, take the most recent file as default?

Thanks for your help on this. Very frustrating and many hours in I'm still pretty nervous.

Last edited by queenofspades; 2009-09-07 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: additional info.

Quote:
Hi Ken. The data was gone. I used time machine to find a backup which had the data intact and now I'm struggling to set this backup as the central OF file. I just replaced the OmniFocus file with the backup and it disappeared everything again, so I'm back to using a backup file from within the Documents/OmniFocus Backups/ folder
This sounds very much like your data isn't gone, just not in your current focus. Did you try selecting "All Items" from the Perspectives menu?

yes, repeatedly with no success eariler today.

but for example, the renamed file (backup file that was full of data which I renamed "OmniFocus" and replaced into the 'home' directory...this came up empty when I reopened same file in OF.

I just tried it again and it worked, the data is there. I'm resetting Perspectives to show all so I'm not confused...but I think it worked this time. earlier today the data was definitely gone tho' because this same trick did nothing.

so then please confirm this
- OF defaults to the OmniFocus file in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/
- when you open a backup file it saves to that file that has been opened (in backups folder) not the default file. therefore if there's a corruption issue you have to replace the default file with a functional one?

thanks for your help with this!

any thoughts on where the quick entry black hole data went?
trying this again to see if it's working now

yay! it's working
now onto getting iphone to sync with this db