The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Issue saving to Win2003 share Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use OO3.6, and am very happy, but I have found that there are difficulties saving to SMB network shares served off of Win2003 server (possibly elsewhere, but that is where I am seeing it).

When I hit save it starts the save process, and actually does successfully create all of the necessary files (if I close and then open from the share, it is the latest version), but I also get a message about the save failing, and the document is still marked as dirty/unsaved. When I look up on the share I see that the backup (~ file) is still there, and that there is another folder there with the name "." + what looks like a UUID. Every time I try and save I get a new UUID folder (with an XML file in it).

I have checked the permissions, and my user has explicit permissions on everything there, and it is the first ACL that gets read (there are no forbids for my user), so that should not be an issue. And I have checked that OmniGraffle can write just fine, so this is specific to something that OmniOutliner is doing.

Just for the record: We are using ActiveDirectory, and my Kerberos ticket is current. I also have Noton AV installed, but Safe-Zones is effectively disabled (otherwise it causes lots of problems).

Any one else seeing this issue?

Unfortunately this isn't a bug in OmniOutliner. You should be able to reproduce this problem using TextEdit by creating an RTFD document. Drag an image into a new TextEdit document and then save it to your shared folder. You'll likely get the same error. We've logged this bug with Apple and hopefully they'll address it in a future update. Let me know if you have any more questions.

James - et al,

I am experiencing this as well. Any change in this situation - if not, why do other programs - like Apple and Microsoft products, Thunderbird and others not appear to have this issue?

Thanks! Tvenar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
Unfortunately this isn't a bug in OmniOutliner. You should be able to reproduce this problem using TextEdit by creating an RTFD document. Drag an image into a new TextEdit document and then save it to your shared folder. You'll likely get the same error. We've logged this bug with Apple and hopefully they'll address it in a future update. Let me know if you have any more questions.

The problem as a couple of the guys from Omni have since explained to me is one with the saving mechanism for bundles. And since OmniOutliner uses bundles for all of its documents rather than just a single file (this is a good decision) it gets bitten by the bug. And it really is up to Apple to fix this.