The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Self-reference with lines (UML) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, this question isn't really UML specific but my inability to solve it keeps me from using your app as a viable UML tool.

Is it possible to create a line from and to the same object? This is standard practice for recursive associations in UML. I've never seen any reaosnably sized diagram that doesn't have at least one of these. Although omnigraffle lets me set the connection points to be the same object, the line is lost. I want a line that travels out of and back into an object.

Yes, but you'll have to create a midpoint for the line and drag it out a little bit so the line routes properly.

So, select the line tool, click on the shape, arbitrarily click again to make the midpoint out away from the shape, and finish the line connection to the initial shape.

I like to put a very large corner radius on the line and make it a straight line type in the Line and Shape Inspector so it's easy to get a nice circular line.

HTH

Thanks, I figured that out a few minutes later -- but is there a way to modify an existing line or can you only do it with new lines? i.e. is there a way to add midpoints to a line after it is created instead of while creating it (this way I can still make use of templates or stencils or whatever it is omni calls them)

Option-double-click a line to add a midpoint.