The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Should sub-projects work like projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I find some of the UI differences between projects and sub-projects to be confusing, specifically because they have similar functions implemented in differing ways. Let me explain.

Projects and sub-projects can both:
  • be marked as parallel or sequential
  • have a default context

But the method of changing and viewing these attributes is completely different between projects and sub-projects.

To change the parallel/sequential attribute:

Project
  • click the parallel/sequential icon on the project entry in the outline
  • click the "actions must be performed in order" checkbox in the project inspector

Sub-project
  • right click on the sub-project entry in the outline, and click "Parallel"

For the project, I can see an indication of this state by hovering over the project's outline entry, or glancing at the project inspector. While for the sub-project, I have to right-click on it to see the "Parallel" menu item checkmark.

To change the default context

Project
  • Right-click on the project and choose the default context from the "Default Context" sub-menu. The only way to know what the default context is is by viewing this menu.

Sub-project
  • Right-click on the sub-project and choose the default context from the "Context" sub-menu. The default context is directly visible on the sub-project entry, as well as through the "Context" sub-menu.

Why the differences? When a task is promoted to a sub-project, shouldn't all references to "Context" be changed to "Default Context"? (As I was typing this, I discovered the "Action" inspector, which is a consistent place to change the context for projects, sub-projects, and tasks. But I still think the terminology should be kept consistent.)

Last edited by dmw; 2007-07-03 at 06:02 AM..