The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Managing software development with OO...help me out here... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How to use OO (if this is the best way) in keeping up with development and progress of a software application we are developing.

Maybe OO isn't the best to do this in but if anyone in the world would know, it is this forum, I hope. ;) Let me explain more.

We developed a nice little MS Access program to handle our inventory a few years back. Now, we have decided to make a leap forward and redevelop that application using another program like MS Access (but way better and lets the end user use a web browser therefore decreasing our dependency on windows but increasing our ability to work from anywhere).

The problem I face is this: I co-manage the project but I am responsible for populating the list with everything that needs to be done. I currently keep a small list in outline format with line items that need to be implemented or addressed (new features, bugs, UI tweaks, etc.). When the item has been completed, I simply color the font a light shad of grey and leave it on there for a few weeks then eventually it just fades away into oblivion.

There has to be a better way to manage a project than the way I am doing it so I can go back and review completed items (we do track the dates FYI) and bug reports for curiosity or to see if we are repeating history all while being able to disseminate a PDF list to everyone in order for them to keep working on their part of the puzzle.

I have thought about OF but I am not real sure if this would be the way to go either. In my head, I see myself using some super cool future version of OO to handle this easily.

Anyone have a take on this? I feel there is a better way.

This may be a stupid question, but have you given OmniPlan a look? If so, and it doesn't suit your needs, that info may help us suggest other approaches to take in OmniOutliner or some other application...

I have OP and use it but for this, it seems like that has too large a scope. I guess I am looking for someone who has managed such a project and how they do/did it.

For instance, I am not on a timeline per say, but I just want to track bugs, new features, and be able to see the history if need be and publish a quick PDF report to everyone.

Makes sense - just wanted to check and be sure.

Hmmm... I think it would be possible to do this in OmniOutliner. Task names in the topic column, a pop-up column for the folks that tasks are assigned to, a couple of columns for tracking start/due dates, checkboxes to track item completion.

That said, I feel like your intended use case is a lot closer to what OmniFocus does right now. It currently has better in-app tools for sorting and filtering the contents of the database. As a specific example, OmniOutliner doesn't currently have the ability to hide rows that have been checked off from view; they stay visible.

That said, I know we have customers that track projects like this in OmniOutliner. I'll shut up now and let the folks with some actual helpful information respond to your posts. :-)