The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF + IPhone = Useless Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
- Mac Pro
- IPhone 3G (v2)
- OF (v1.6)
- 2.7mb file (5zips)
- OF opens on phone and crashes three fourths through "opening document"
- Four months+ being tormented by this syncing process

Dutch, you mentioned that you've tried a lot of different troubleshooting ideas, but just in case, the suggestions in this post and this other one may help.

If those don't resolve the issue, it sounds like the support ninja you're conversing with is on the right track. Depending on the number/size of the attachments in the database, your phone may be running out of memory trying to load them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch5050 View Post
Would calling one's behavior "Troll" like be the equivalent of the same behavior? Calling the product "sucking" or "worthless" is exactly how I feel about the product I've paid for.

I'm not frequently on web forums so I can't exactly say that I'm aware of the proper etiquette. As a concerned customer, I'd call my language appropriate. However, I'm a fan of OF, so I'm only calling attention (bluntly) to a serious problem that appears recurring for many users.
Actually, I don't post here much and don't have problems syncing at all (I've easily set up syncing for all methods) but I do monitor the feeds. This post and your others, are what I'd call inappropriate and offensive - so much so that I went to the trouble to post.

I, for one, am surprised anyone is willing to help you at all with an attitude like that. The fact that they are is very much a credit to those offering the help than it is as your "rights" as a customer. Somehow, I'm not sure how being uncivil and rude is a "right." Proper etiquette would pretty much require an apology and has nothing to do with web forums.

J.

I'm not sure where I've been rude? My experience syncing--not yours--has been extremely trying. I'm glad that you can sync effortlessly--good for you. However, I can't, and it appears that many others fall into the same category.

As far as members offering help, it's very considerate and most has been helpful, but if you look at my posts from before, I wasn't soliciting assistance. I was merely stating my problem and wondering if others had gone through similar problems--seeking feedback. Why can't another person point to a problem without sugarcoating it? My experience syncing so far has sucked--there's no other way of putting it.

Let me state that the various members who have recommended possible solutions are very considerate, and thank you. As well as the OF staff & tech support--who have been nothing but patient and accommadating.

You might have a point if I hadn't already tirelessly tried various avenues at fixing this problem, but I have, and by the twentieth solution without success, one needs to call it for what it is. Thanks for your own rude, and gratuitous input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch5050 View Post
I'm not sure where I've been rude? My experience syncing--not yours--has been extremely trying. I'm glad that you can sync effortlessly--good for you. However, I can't, and it appears that many others fall into the same category.

As far as members offering help, it's very considerate and most has been helpful, but if you look at my posts from before, I wasn't soliciting assistance. I was merely stating my problem and wondering if others had gone through similar problems--seeking feedback. Why can't another person point to a problem without sugarcoating it? My experience syncing so far has sucked--there's no other way of putting it.

Let me state that the various members who have recommended possible solutions are very considerate, and thank you. As well as the OF staff & tech support--who have been nothing but patient and accommadating.

You might have a point if I hadn't already tirelessly tried various avenues at fixing this problem, but I have, and by the twentieth solution without success, one needs to call it for what it is. Thanks for your own rude, and gratuitous input.
There's a difference between been rude and gratuitous and/or being forceful. Unfortunately, this is one of those cases that if one has to have it explained then one probably wouldn't understand the difference.

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Dutch, you mentioned that you've tried a lot of different troubleshooting ideas, but just in case, the suggestions in this post and this other one may help.

If those don't resolve the issue, it sounds like the support ninja you're conversing with is on the right track. Depending on the number/size of the attachments in the database, your phone may be running out of memory trying to load them.
The post you linked showing how to identify the "space hogging" file is helpful, but I'm not sure what to do with that portion of the file exactly? Do I throw it out, or do I try and find it within my OF file and delete it. Can you help me understand what I'm supposed to do once I identify the attachment that is eating up so much space? Would throwing that part of the zip out be a big problem?

- Thanks

Dutch, what Bill's post mentions is first finding the big attachments, and then using the text file that OmniFocus uses to track your information to find which actions those attachments are connected to.

You can then use the "all items" perspective and the search field in the toolbar to find the actions with attachments and delete them from the database with the delete key.

If everything is done exactly the way Bill laid out, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Once you've removed the attachments, turn sync off, then select "Compact Database" under the file menu. That menu item is only active when sync is disabled, and "Rebuild Database" does something different, so make sure you pick the right one. :-)

You can then re-enable sync and push a much smaller database to your phone.

Of course, if it's easier, feel free to zip up your database and send it to the support ninja you've been working with. We can remove the attachments and then send you back a shrunk version of the database. (A couple other folks have run into this problem and this is what we've done for them.)

We do want to add tools to OmniFocus that let you take care of this without jumping through all these hoops; we just haven't been able to do so yet.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-04-16 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Oh lord, did I mis-read bill's posts, or what?

Quote:
Dutch, what Bill's post mentions is first finding the big attachments, and then using the text file that OmniFocus uses to track your information to find which actions those attachments are connected to.

You can then use the "all items" perspective and the search field in the toolbar to find the actions with attachments and delete them from the database with the delete key.

If everything is done exactly the way Bill laid out, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Once you've removed the attachments, turn sync off, then select "Compact Database" under the file menu. That menu item is only active when sync is disabled, and "Rebuild Database" does something different, so make sure you pick the right one. :-)

You can then re-enable sync and push a much smaller database to your phone.

Of course, if it's easier, feel free to zip up your database and send it to the support ninja you've been working with. We can remove the attachments and then send you back a shrunk version of the database. (A couple other folks have run into this problem and this is what we've done for them.)

We do want to add tools to OmniFocus that let you take care of this without jumping through all these hoops; we just haven't been able to do so yet.
Ok, so following the process you recommended, I've taken my 2.7+/- file and compressed it down to a 744k file--which is pretty incredible. Now that that is completed, my IPhone OF still wont grab the file from the my ME server. Should I delete the OF software from my phone and the re-install it? What are some options here?

Hey, I was experiencing a similar degree of frustration - exultation turning to despair as syncing proved a dead end ... just now I fixed it. I just quit everything, launched Disk Utility out of the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on my Mac, repaired the permissions on my Mac's hard drive, and tried to sync again ... badabingboom, done. Synced the fsck up. Apparently permissions matter, at least in my case. Maybe it will work for you also.

They say it is easier to ask forgiveness afterwards than to ask permission first. However, this is a computer with no feelings to massage. No permission, no clean shirt, grasshopper.

I will now proceed to entangle the entire area.

Quote:
The best thing to do here is probably continue working with the support ninja that's been helping you - there are a couple steps we can use to figure out why your phone is having trouble contacting the server, but it's easier via email.
Thanks Brian, for some reason the support ninja I've been working with has gone AWOL. ??? Not sure where he's gone, but I've tried reaching out to him and I've heard nothing back. The last thing he asked me was whether I achieved my old data, which I have.

Greg