The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jumping from context to project mode Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If I'm in context mode and looking at an action, is there an easy way to jump to the project that contains that action? If so, how?

I ask because I often work in context mode, grouped by Due and sorted by Due. Before I click an action completed, I often want to look at the project for that action, to see what comes next, or if I need to add some actions for followup. I can't figure out an easy way to do that, though.

It would be nice if there were a contextaul menu item for this. (I think I already submitted a request for this.)

opt-cmd-r

View Menu -> Switch to Project/Context View

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
opt-cmd-r

It never occurred to me that this might behave differently than the "Mode" buttons in the menu bar. (In fact, it's not clear why it does!) I still would like a contextual menu item as well.

There is a toolbar button for this as well. That is what I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
opt-cmd-r

I've been trying to use this, but I just get a system beep on any action I try it on. Why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikmk View Post
I've been trying to use this, but I just get a system beep on any action I try it on. Why is that?
I'm not completely sure if this is it, but I think that OF remembers the settings of the View Bar in each mode independently. So if you have selected a not-yet-available action in Project Mode and last time you were in Context Mode you had the View Bar set to Available, OF returns the error beep. Likewise if you have selected any active action in Context Mode and last time you were in Project Mode you had the View Bar set to Completed, it beeps.

Seems clear to me that this should be changed - if you want to view in the other mode, you want to view it and you don't care what the previous settings were. I suppose the question is which settings should OF be allowed to change itself in order to make the action visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I'm not completely sure if this is it, but I think that OF remembers the settings of the View Bar in each mode independently. So if you have selected a not-yet-available action in Project Mode and last time you were in Context Mode you had the View Bar set to Available, OF returns the error beep. Likewise if you have selected any active action in Context Mode and last time you were in Project Mode you had the View Bar set to Completed, it beeps.

Seems clear to me that this should be changed - if you want to view in the other mode, you want to view it and you don't care what the previous settings were. I suppose the question is which settings should OF be allowed to change itself in order to make the action visible.
Also make sure you have an action selected, otherwise this command is disabled.

I'm not sure it's working properly at the moment as I seem to get an error beep just about every time, whether i use the Cmd-Opt-R keys or the switch button.

It doesn't seem to be due to the view settings in planning mode as I've tried it with a next action highlighted in context view which i know is definitely visible in planning as I have all the remaining tasks showing.

Odd.

The toolbar toggle is taking me to the other mode, but is not selecting the task that was originally selected. Has this changed? It seems like originally the toolbar toggle and option-command-R did the same thing.

By the say, it's cool how option-command-R works if multiple items are selected!