The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Context perspectives only have single context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have seen the other threads on the limitation of Perspectives to Contexts, but I noticed that my custom Perspectives had only a single Context, even though the Perspective created in OF for Mac had no specific Context associated with it. This seems like a bug to me, in addition to the Context-only Perspectives noted before.

Looking forward to OF 1.8 on Mac (today?).

David.

David, can you post a screenshot of the Perspectives window showing one of these perspectives? I make extensive use of such perspectives and have never seen the behavior you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
David, can you post a screenshot of the Perspectives window showing one of these perspectives? I make extensive use of such perspectives and have never seen the behavior you describe.
How do I take a screenshot in an iPad? It's on the iPad app, not on the Mac app.

David

To take a screenshot on an iOS device, hold down the Home button, and then briefly press the Power button on the top of the device. (With the screen you want to take a picture of visible, of course.)

Your screen will flash white - this means that the screenshot was added to your photo roll. You can now use the camera application on your phone to email the photo, sync it over via iPhoto, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
To take a screenshot on an iOS device, hold down the Home button, and then briefly press the Power button on the top of the device. (With the screen you want to take a picture of visible, of course.)

Your screen will flash white - this means that the screenshot was added to your photo roll. You can now use the camera application on your phone to email the photo, sync it over via iPhoto, etc.
That's so cool! I had no idea you could do that. Actually, the buttons are reversed (according to http://www.simplehelp.net/2010/04/03...f-your-ipad/): you hold Power then briefly hit Home.

Screenshot attached, showing my Context:Available with only Errands.

Thanks, David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1558  

Hmmm... is it possible that there was a tap-hold on Errands, and "Focus" was selected from the contextual pop-over that appears? If so, switching away and then switching back should resolve that...

Only other thing I can think of is that the perspective accidentally got edited on the Mac, and the "Focus on: errands" setting got synced over that way.

If neither of those explain what you're seeing, can you send us an email? Taking a look at your databases on both devices may help us figure out what's going on here...

I'm really sorry for the trouble this is causing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmccormick View Post
How do I take a screenshot in an iPad? It's on the iPad app, not on the Mac app.

David
I understand that, but the Perspectives window on the Mac will show all of the settings for the perspective, including whether it has something selected in the sidebar.

Another possibility is that all of your available actions happen to be in the same context. You could check this by tapping the Contexts button in the sidebar, then tapping the eyeball icon and selecting Available actions. If you see actions in other contexts, then your perspective must have something selected in the sidebar. If you don't see actions from other contexts, the test is inconclusive. At that point, I would add an action (from a different context) to the top of a project (so it is sure to be available) and check the results of the perspective again. If the new action shows up, your perspective is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hmmm... is it possible that there was a tap-hold on Errands, and "Focus" was selected from the contextual pop-over that appears? If so, switching away and then switching back should resolve that...

Only other thing I can think of is that the perspective accidentally got edited on the Mac, and the "Focus on: errands" setting got synced over that way.

If neither of those explain what you're seeing, can you send us an email? Taking a look at your databases on both devices may help us figure out what's going on here...

I'm really sorry for the trouble this is causing!
Brian: you seem to have fixed it for me. I went back to the Mac and switched back and forth with the equivalent Perspectives and they did seem to focus on the Errands Context. However, I could not see how that Focus was set, nor could I figure out how to eliminate that Focus. So I deleted the Perspectives and re-created them after first making sure I'd use the Perspectives -> All Items menu item first. When I sync'd the Mac, then the iPad, the old Perspective disappeared, then new ones appeared, and they had global focus.

So, thanks for helping with that.

But how did the narrow focus get embedded in the Perspective that I created on the Mac side?

Thanks, David

My guess is that you had the Errands context selected in the sidebar when you created the original perspective. Selecting something in the sidebar limits the main outline to only show items from that selection.