The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Bug or feature?: Non-matching items Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am puzzled by something that seems anomalous yet continues. Since over a long period of time it hasn't changed, I'm wondering if it's meant to be a feature and I just don't "get it."

I have several items without context assigned. These items show up in filtered views that they do not match. For example, in context mode without any specific contexts selected, if I choose to display flagged items, the unflagged no-context items show up in the list. Similarly, if I choose to display items of any specific duration, the no-context items show up, even though they're not assigned any duration.

Is this intended to sort of hit me over the head with the fact that I haven't assigned contexts to these items? Or is it a filtering bug?

I thought I had seen a forum reference to this several months back, but the only thing I could find was this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eronel View Post
I am puzzled by something that seems anomalous yet continues. Since over a long period of time it hasn't changed, I'm wondering if it's meant to be a feature and I just don't "get it."

I have several items without context assigned. These items show up in filtered views that they do not match. For example, in context mode without any specific contexts selected, if I choose to display flagged items, the unflagged no-context items show up in the list. Similarly, if I choose to display items of any specific duration, the no-context items show up, even though they're not assigned any duration.

Is this intended to sort of hit me over the head with the fact that I haven't assigned contexts to these items? Or is it a filtering bug?

I thought I had seen a forum reference to this several months back, but the only thing I could find was this thread.
Which view are you referring to? If you are referring to seeing things when you click the "No Context" sidebar entry in the context view, then it is by design.

If any other places, I would say it's a bug.

In context mode with no particular context selected. That is, I have clicked in the empty space below contexts in the sidebar, so as to show everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eronel View Post
In context mode with no particular context selected. That is, I have clicked in the empty space below contexts in the sidebar, so as to show everything.
I believe it is by design. If you group the items, you will probably see "None" at the bottom. So, if you group them by context, none will indicate items w/o any context. If you do so by due dates, it will indicate items w/o any due dates. If you don't group it, I assume they will just show up with other items.

Lenore,

Note that you can click the Contexts heading in the sidebar to see all items with a context that match the filter.

Curt

Thanks for the suggestion, Curt. Yeah, I know I could do that, but it takes more accuracy and effort than I'm sometimes willing to use with my forefinger on the trackpad.

I think I will file this problem as a bug, because it seems to me that the contents of the window should match the filters. If the omnifolks don't agree, then I guess I'll just have to break down and give those durn items contexts.

There was a forum post by an OmniRep a short while back that said this was by design. I don't recall the details; perhaps someone does?

A month or two ago I got email from Omni, in response to my bug report, stating that this was a feature. Its goal is to make you assign contexts. Since it's possible to get rid of actions without contexts by clicking on the context folder, I don't think Omni is likely to change it.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought I'd remembered seeing something about it, but I couldn't find it.

I dislike this feature quite a bit for the reasons I already mentioned. I suppose it might end up forcing-- I mean encouraging-- me to do just what is intended. Nonetheless, this is one of those paternalistic things that grates a bit.

Grrrrrr....

[/hackles]