The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anyone else with crash problems? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I first upgraded to Snow Leopard OW crashed all the time with a Font error but deleting everything from ~/Library/Fonts solved the problem. However after the latest 10.6.2 update the crashing problem has returned even though ~/Library/Fonts is empty. What's really weird is that some websites display fine if I have only one window open and don't navigate to them while if I click a link to get there or open a new window when I have an existing window open to another site, bam it crashes right away. What's frustrating is that two of the sites I'm having problems with are YouTube and eBay. Has anybody else seen something similar?

I'm working with the support ninjas at Omni to resolve it but this one's taking a long time and it's frustrating to have to deal with the crashes or switch to Safari to view certain sites. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Is OmniWeb crashing all the time under Snow Leopard for anyone else? It's getting quite frustrating and I'm sure the Omni folks are excited about getting so many crash reports per day, sigh.

Last edited by AlanBDahl; 2009-12-02 at 08:35 AM..

We don't know of any crashers specific to Snow Leopard. Can you tell us some more about what you're doing leading up to the crash?

Yes, my macbook pro (that I just updated to snow lep) crashes quite frequently - but mostly after I close the laptop, walk away for a few hours, and reopen. That said, I LOVE Omniweb and wish I heard of this product a year ago when I bought my new mac. A crash here and there is not horrible -- though it is a pain since firefox never crashed. I do not use safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBDahl View Post
Is OmniWeb crashing all the time under Snow Leopard for anyone else?
Yes, I am. Even starting a different application is enough for OW to crash. I went back a few versions but that did not make anything better.

(Un-)funny: I tried to write this answer and it crashed.

Slightly annoyed,
Hans

It seems to be font-related somehow, perhaps because OmniWeb is using an obsolete and deprecated method, CGContextSetFontRenderingMode instead of CGContextSetFontRenderingStyle.

When I first upgraded to Snow Leopard I had this problem but clearing the old fonts out of ~/Library/Fonts fixed it. However since the 10.6.2 update I've been having the same problem even though ~/Library/Fonts is empty. What's odd is that some pages will crash if used in combination with each other but work ok by themselves. However any embedded YouTube page will crash OW instantly and until now I never realized just how common YouTube embedding is.

Creating a new user solves the problem which means it could be either a problem with preferences (though deleting the OW pref folder and pslist don't help) or more likely an issue with an interaction with something installed by another application. If you have crash problems can you let me know if you have Parallels Desktop installed?

This extremely frustrating for me as I've been using OW since 1994 (on a NeXT) and it's become useless with Snow Leopard. So far I've been living with the crashes but if it doesn't get fixed soon I'll have to migrate to Safari :-(.

Quote:
It seems to be font-related somehow, perhaps because OmniWeb is using an obsolete and deprecated method, CGContextSetFontRenderingMode instead of CGContextSetFontRenderingStyle.
I'm told that it's actually WebKit making that call, not OmniWeb.

In any case, count me among the crowd having little or no trouble with OmniWeb on 10.6.2. If you've got a frequent crasher, cc omniweb@omnigroup.com the next time you send in a crash report to make sure a human looks at it.

On a whim I tried turning off the Flash player plugin and my crashing problem went away. I tried reinstalling the latest version of Flash for Snow Leopard and that didn't help but there is definitely something funky going on. Since I have been using OmniWeb for so long is it possible that I have some old preference or plugin somewhere that could be causing this problem with Flash?

Quote:
On a whim I tried turning off the Flash player plugin and my crashing problem went away. I tried reinstalling the latest version of Flash for Snow Leopard and that didn't help but there is definitely something funky going on. Since I have been using OmniWeb for so long is it possible that I have some old preference or plugin somewhere that could be causing this problem with Flash?
I have constant problems with OW and Flash for over a year. Frequent crashes. Since I recently installed the beta version of Flash 10.1, I haven't had a crash yet.

Removing Flash and reinstalling the new 10.1 version made no difference, it still crashes with an apparent font-related error. As an experiment I'll leave Flash turned off permanently and see if I get any crashes. I'm beginning to think that Flash isn't the culprit but it would not surprise me to learn that it uses whatever uncommon font or webkit font rendering code that's causing the crash.

Besides that I don't know what else I can do. Any other suggestions?