The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Outlining doesn't work in Context view? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I like to order my tasks so I can figure out what I'm working on next. The way I've been doing this is via outlining -- moving items up or down.

This works when I'm "projects" view (i.e. click on the Projects icon in the upper left). However, if I go to context view, I can't use any of the outlining features. If I attempt to move something up or down, nothing happens. If I attempt to move something right or left, I get an error message saying "Unable to move to this location".

Any ideas? Is this by design? A bug?

Thanks!

I assume it is by design, as it very consistent with the GTD methodology. The Project view is a hierarchal, planning mode and outlining works very well for planning. The context mode is a flat list for working your plan and the only thing that you can change by dragging is the context assigned to an action.

There are very useful scripts called "move to top" and "move to bottom" that you will probably find useful. You can find them on the scripting forum I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markand View Post
This works when I'm "projects" view (i.e. click on the Projects icon in the upper left). However, if I go to context view, I can't use any of the outlining features. If I attempt to move something up or down, nothing happens. If I attempt to move something right or left, I get an error message saying "Unable to move to this location".
I've noticed the same thing, and I think it's be design.

In project view, you see all the actions, so movement is clear relative to the other actions.

In context view, you might not see all the actions (some are in other contexts), so OF doesn't really "know" where to move the action relative to all the actions, including the ones that are not visible.

- Don