The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flagging tasks through mail actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I see that we can add dates, projects, contexts, through mail actions, but I don't see anything for flagging a task. For instance, if my manager asks me to do something today that's high priority, I'd like to just pop an email, use --Task, and set the flag to on, so I can then go into the iPhone after sync, and select my flagged items to see it there.

Any switch for flag in the email actions? Thanks!

-Marc

Are you using the clipping service to create the task in Mail? The flag column is available in the clipping window-just click in the row under the flag column heading and the new entry will be flagged.

Thanks, Greg. No, I'm using mail at work (Outlook). My Mac is on all the time, so it's a nice way to quickly populate stuff to OF on the iPhone. Just need this one bit o' functionality (hopefully it exists somehow.).

Got it. As a thought, OmniFocus does have a flagged command in its AppleScript dictionary. Perhaps it is possible to add this to the mail action script? I don't know if/how this would work, but I thought I'd throw it out as a suggestion.

I don't see any evidence of way to signal that directly, no. But there are some (twisted) ways you could achieve it with a bit of hacking. Pick a string to prepend to your action names to flag that you want them flagged that is unlikely to ever be part of a real action name, yet not too hard to type. Then write an applescript which you can have fired off from iCal or whatever your favorite background task scheduler might be which runs down your database looking for actions with names starting with your magic identifying string, stripping out that string and setting the flag for the action. Obviously, the frequency at which you do this database scan will impact how rapidly a new item will get flagged, but unless you are making changes on the iPhone or hitting the sync button, you might not be getting the new items for up to an hour anyhow.

Does the iPhone let you easily see the most recently added actions in the database? Maybe the quick and dirty approach is to just use that view (assuming it exists) after a sync to look for any new items you want to flag while they are fresh in your mind...