The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

how to enter multi-line info in an item? Hyperlinks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to enter a significant amount of information in a single task in Inbox? When I hit "enter", it thinks I want to start a new item. How do I put in more than 1 line of text?

And, is it possible to include hyperlinks to files on my disk?

thank you,

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin777 View Post
Is it possible to enter a significant amount of information in a single task in Inbox? When I hit "enter", it thinks I want to start a new item. How do I put in more than 1 line of text?
Hold down the Option key as you hit the key to go to the next line and you'll get a multi-line action. (On my keyboard, it's labeled "return", and the "enter" key does something completely different)

Quote:
And, is it possible to include hyperlinks to files on my disk?
Yes, there are a couple of ways to do this. One is to use Edit->Attach File... or right-click Attach File... or control-click Attach File... and another is to simply drag and drop from the Finder into the Notes field. The former offers you an explicit choice between linking and embedding the file; the latter links unless you hold down the option key, in which case it embeds.

> Hold down the Option key as you hit the key to go to the next line

super! is there any way to get the Action to open in a separate window in which I could type text like in a mini-editor?

> simply drag and drop from the Finder into the Notes field. The latter links
> unless you hold down the option key, in which case it embeds.

Excellent. But, I notice that if I move that file (to another folder), it gets confused and can't find it. Looks like it's storing the file's path, not its inode, which is a problem. Is this something that can be worked-around with by the end-user or should I submit a feature request? It would be great if it linked to the file no matter how I moved it around in the file system (I think recording the inode would do it).

thank you!!

Mike

Quote:
> Hold down the Option key as you hit the key to go to the next line

super! is there any way to get the Action to open in a separate window in which I could type text like in a mini-editor?
Well, you can type the text in any editor you like, then copy-paste it into OmniFocus. Just be sure to click in the name field before pasting, or you'll get a new row for each line of text on the clipboard. Most people are trying to avoid what you're trying to do :-)
Quote:
> simply drag and drop from the Finder into the Notes field. The latter links
> unless you hold down the option key, in which case it embeds.

Excellent. But, I notice that if I move that file (to another folder), it gets confused and can't find it. Looks like it's storing the file's path, not its inode, which is a problem. Is this something that can be worked-around with by the end-user or should I submit a feature request? It would be great if it linked to the file no matter how I moved it around in the file system (I think recording the inode would do it).
Storing the path has the pleasant effect that if you are syncing between multiple copies of OmniFocus, and you have file paths that are identical on multiple machines (a path to a file on a file server, for example), this all works transparently without having to embed the file. Store the files in an orderly fashion (see the OmniFocus Extras forum for some scripts that build a matching hierarchy to your project database) so you don't have to move them, or store them in a heap and don't move them. Or just use spotlight to track them down and relink if you do move.

If you want to make a request for some behavior or feature to be changed, use Help->Send Feedback so that it makes it into the development database.

Mike,

In case you haven't noticed it, you can type formatted notes in the note field associated with every task. Type command-' to open the note field.

Curt

thank you everyone!!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Mike,
In case you haven't noticed it, you can type formatted notes in the note field associated with every task. Type command-' to open the note field.
hmm. I think I'm missing it. Is the Note field just additional lines past a task's name? when I press command-', all it does is toggle between the field where the attachments are shown (is that the Note field?) and the title. Thanks,

Mike

Yes, that is the notes field. As a rule of thumb, information which helps you decide if you should do an action goes in the action name; information about how you do it is often better kept in the notes.

Quote:
Looks like it's storing the file's path, not its inode, which is a problem. Is this something that can be worked-around with by the end-user or should I submit a feature request? It would be great if it linked to the file no matter how I moved it around in the file system (I think recording the inode would do it).
Yeah, can't be avoided because just the path/URL gets stored in OF. Inodes won't help either if you end up moving your file to a different disk afterwards. So the easy way out is probably to store the file in the right place before linking it from OF.