The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10.5.3 Performance issues with OG 5 Pro? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm experiencing a lot of slow downs (beachballs) in OG 5 Pro since the latest OSX update.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Morgan

Not that I've noticed, and no user reports have been sent in, either.

Dunno what to say about it, if you could take a sample from Activity Monitor while it's hanging and send that in that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what was going on, but it SEEMS better now. It spanned a reboot, though.

Data writes were very high, even though I had gigs of inactive memory (On a Macbook Pro 17" with 4 gigs RAM).

OG process was using CPU, but not massively so. It would jump to "not responsive" every once and a while when it beach balled. (All I needed to do was select something different, or try and open a fill colour for that to occur). I was prepared to go back to 10.5.2 just to change some colours on a simple graphic.

After a while (and walking away for a bit) it seemed to settle. I've rebooted once more and it hasn't returned yet.

It was frustrating enough to post, obviously, and if it comes back I'll let you know.

- Morgan

Immediately after upgrading to 10.5.3, I had both of my machines be very unresponsive and heard a ton of disk writes chatter away. On the second machine, this happened even though I had no applications open at the time.

I have no idea what the system was doing - based on activity monitor, my best guess is that a background thread was updating all of the spotlight metadata for my files or something.

The activity stopped after 10-15 minutes on both machines and hasn't reoccurred.

I'm chalking this one up to the OS upgrade.

That may well be it. I noticed it mostly with OG 5, jumping back to Safari to check the forums for issues didn't trigger any beachballs :)

Since then, everything seems OK...

M

When I upgraded to 10.5.3, I noticed that spotlight was updating for ages ... I have two external HDs, one of them partitioned into two. I could hear them "chattering away" too, but more importantly, when spotlight is updating its metadata, you will see a spot in the middle of its "magnifying glass" on the menu. It took about 15 minutes, I think, to go through nearly 2 million files.

And yes, other apps were running more slowly while it did so.

Mark