The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniweb license Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I bought a license for Omniweb ages ago and I've been using it as my browser of choice ever since. I have it loaded on my PowerMac G5 which I use at home and on my MacBook Pro which I use on my travels. I thought that a single license would cover both if the license was attached to the user rather than the machine. However, even when I'm using the MacBook elsewhere I regularly get messages to the effect that I'm using an unlicensed copy (though the trial period never seems to expire). Is there some way around this or do I have to buy a second license?

I had the same problem between my imac and powerbook. Though the user account was worded the same, I could never get it to work. So, I lived with the demo message for months. However, seeing that I use the browser so much, and this month it is on sale, I just bought another license and put it on my laptop. Not the best solution, but $9.99 is a great price!

The licence terms are that you can use the same licence on/in multiple machines or accounts, but you can't have OmniWeb open at the same time on/in each. If you are seeing this issue, it is probably because you have OmniWeb open on the other machine and it takes precedence over the copy opened second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
The licence terms are that you can use the same licence on/in multiple machines or accounts, but you can't have OmniWeb open at the same time on/in each. If you are seeing this issue, it is probably because you have OmniWeb open on the other machine and it takes precedence over the copy opened second.
I follow the logic of what you're saying but I have the same problem whether or not the two machines are open at the same time. I can have my desktop machine at home asleep while I'm away on business, then try using OmniWeb on my laptop miles away and on a totally different network and still I get the pesky message. Very annoying!

I'm thinking of doing that too. But firstly I feel I shouldn't need to and secondly although it's great value now it will potentially lock me into a cycle of upgrading two copies not just one :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatami
I follow the logic of what you're saying but I have the same problem whether or not the two machines are open at the same time. I can have my desktop machine at home asleep while I'm away on business, then try using OmniWeb on my laptop miles away and on a totally different network and still I get the pesky message. Very annoying!
If you had them both open on the same network at one time, it would have disabled the license on one of the machines. If you then go somewhere else, that license will still be disabled on that machine. You can delete it and add it again.

That's my recollection anyway. I haven't done that since the days of 4.5.

What I did was buy 5 licenses for $14.99. Now, that's a bargain!