The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Any tips on keeping track of information in "the digital age" or what ever they call it these days? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm an ISTJ (look up meyers briggs personality types inventory on google if you aren't familiar). So naturally I have lots of information, resources, notes etc that I am always trying to note down so I can refer to it later. This isn't necessarily related to work, just all kinds of random "stuff" I find or things I think of I don't want to forgot. Does anyone have any advice for keeping all this "stuff" organized? Is there any intriguing software or techniques out there that will help with this in the most effective and efficient manner? I guess I just have a lot of random side projects and things in development and interests and stuff that don't always qualify enough to be in my GTD database because they may not be pressing issues. I've been collecting text files in folders, all kinds of pictures I take on my iPhone, thoughts I have and bookmarks but I'm wondering if there's a better way of going about this? People seem to be always coming up with better ways of improving efficiency? Bookmarks have been great, but search engines are incredibly effective now so it doesn't seem as necessary. I also don't particularly like the fact that bookmarks are separate from all my notes on a subject. Say I have an interest in radio control cars - I'd like to have forums, notes, design ideas, forums, information on stuff I own, related pictures, manuals, etc all in 1 place easily accessible, quick, visual interface.

Basically I feel like there's so much I want to keep track of but it isn't useful if it's disorganized. Taking the time to carefully organize things takes...well time...which subtracts time from doing, learning and spontaneity. So rather than going about engineering some new way of doing this, I'm sure there are some more experienced people out there who have thought about this so I'd love to hear from you geniuses. :)

Off the top of my head, this sounds like the sort of thing I've heard customers use the DevonThink, Bento, or Evernote for. Searching the OmniFocus forums for posts that include those terms may turn up some useful info. Hope this helps!