The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Have you used multiple OF databases?
Yes 0 0%
No, I didn't realize that you could do that with OF. 1 20.00%
No, but I've thought about trying it. 0 0%
No, and may heaven have mercy on you for suggesting I would do such a dastardly thing... 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Integration issues (and Why same file size even after deletions?) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Well, my mind is not "still as water" yet. Here's the situation:

I've gotten into a bit of a corner, because I've become reliant on using the Safari Toolbar Button, "Send to Omnifocus" which, by the way, can also be used on Omniweb and Chrome. My db has about 10,000 items.

So I have two concerns, the first narrow, the second broader.
First, why would an Omnifocus database file show the same size in Finder after deleting all of its Actions, Projects and Contexts, ie., remaining, dropped, completed?
This is puzzling and I'm unsure whether it matters or not. BTW: Preceding the deletions, I had duplicated my main Omnifocus database and then proceeded with the full deletions on the duplicate. (I did this because I have a very large database that I am breaking up into separate, topically based databases by dragging and dropping from the main, original db to the other newly created ones. I followed advice from one of the forum threads.)
I suppose that the size question may have no practical consequence, but would appreciate your thoughts, because it makes me wonder whether the Actions, Projects and Contexts, ie., remaining, dropped, completed, which I had thought were deleted, are still in this database copy.

If so, the I see two potential problems that I'd like to avoid.
A., I wonder whether the things I thought were deleted might later become visible as a result of some Omnifocus command I invoke. Were this to happen, it potentially would create uncertainty about whether the item in question was new or some old deleted one.

B., retention of the items may mean that I get little performance improvement.
My second, broader concern is how to handle "information management" outside of Omnifocus.
I recognize that the longer term solution is to standardize my work on some other software more suitable for information management and project planning, as distinct from defining and capturing actions using Omnifocus.

I'm keenly aware that this has been treated extensively in the OF Forum and elsewhere on the web. I simply have not compiled all this into a plan.

I keep encountering new ideas about this and, in addition, I'm often side-tracked by also concurrently dealing with other application/workflow integration issues.

Among these are defining my ScanSnap workflow, and choosing a suitable CRM "solution" and integrating it with my Mail and Address Book.

Both these other challenges have also been just a terrible lot of "fun" to puzzle through and proven to be excellent ways to loose sleep and hair, all while trying to get the "real work" done. =;~(

Graphically put, I have grown tired and dizzy while in flight from having to go out onto the airplane's wing to redesign it, take apart the engine, serve pretzels to the passengers, and return periodically to the cockpit to actually pilot the aircraft.

More simply put, the problem is, despite copious online information being available on options available,
I ASPIRE TO BE A USER, not an application/platform integrator.

Are you going through any similar integration challenges?
I'd appreciate your insight into any of these matters, especially the file size issue first mentioned, but also any opinion or recommendations about integration issues, such as those to which I've alluded above.

Naturally, I realize that most OF users would have done things differently! I imagine you recognize, too, that there are non-standard ways Omnifocus gets used.

Please: if you're thinking, "How could this have happened?", ie., an OF db getting 10K items because you would not have done it this way, I hope in your comments you can offer more than that I have "egregiously violated the Universal Laws" [sic] of Omnifocus and/or GTD and/or the canons of David Allen and Nature's God."

My goal remains to adhere to GTD but, in case you haven't noticed, life takes one on side paths, not all of which converge onto the main path. ( Instead you might want to read up a bit on the concept of path dependence! :-) )

Are you syncing? If you are, nothing goes away until the transactions deleting the deleted items are synced to all the clients and compacted out. It's probably also worth making sure that you are deleting from the right database :-)

To force a compaction, first make sure all of your devices are synced. On the Mac, open up the OmniFocus preferences and choose the Sync pane. Click on Show Clients. Select each of the clients and unregister them. Now click on the Sync Now button, and your database should be compacted.

If you aren't syncing, I believe the transaction history remains indefinitely, but you can just do File->Compact Database and all of that history will be flattened out.

I use OmniFocus specifically for task management. It is not a good file referencing system. I would put that in another program.

I currently use DevonThink Office Pro for that kind of stuff.

My current GTD setup includes:

OmniFocus - task management

BusyCal - calendars, appointments

DevonThink Office Pro - file reference (web page articles, PDFs, etc.)

Mariner Paperless - invoices, receipts, scanning

I tend to archive my OmniFocus database any tasks that are older than 6 months. I find that I only need to reference 6 months or less. If I do need to reference a project/task older than 6 months, it is just as easy to just open the Archive database. Yes, it would be nice to have everything just in one database but I've found that I rarely need to reference anything old than 6 months in my active OmniFocus database.

DevonThink has a "Take Rich Note" and "Take Plain Note" service or contextual menu.

You can highlight some text in a web page or any text document and then control-click "Take Rich Note". This will create a rich text (RTF) document with the highlighted text. "Take Plain Note" does the same thing but strips out formatting (bold, underline, colors, etc.).

DevonThink also installs a button in your web browser. You can click on the DevonThink button and it will save the current web page into DevonThink's inbox.

I would send tasks and tasks from email to OmniFocus. Then I would send web pages, text, FYI emails to DevonThink.

Flexattend, it might be a good idea to put out the two or three solutions that you think might be good options for you and the forum can tell you what it thinks would be the best option to pick. Just an idea.