The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus integration with OmniPlan 2? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Any update on when a desktop OmniFocus sneaky peak might be available to test integration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheller View Post
Any update on when a desktop OmniFocus sneaky peak might be available to test integration?
The OmniFocus team is really looking forward to syncing with OmniPlan, but we haven't really started on it yet. (Right at the moment we're working on OmniFocus 1.9 for iPhone.)

Ok, Ken. Thanks for the heads up.

If you can estimate 3 months, 6 months, etc., that would certainly be helpful....

--phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheller View Post
If you can estimate 3 months, 6 months, etc., that would certainly be helpful....
Short answer: I don't have an estimate yet.

Long answer: There are still too many unknowns in our own planning. Our original plan was to ship OmniFocus 2 and OmniPlan 2 around the same time, and this integration would be a feature of OmniFocus 2. We don't have an estimate for when OmniFocus 2 might ship: it was delayed while we worked on OmniFocus for iPad, and our vision for it has evolved based on lessons we learned while developing the iPad edition. If it looks like v2 will take too long, we might pull this OmniPlan integration back into an OmniFocus 1.x update rather than waiting for v2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
If it looks like v2 will take too long, we might pull this OmniPlan integration back into an OmniFocus 1.x update rather than waiting for v2.
In fact I should point out that yesterday I disabled the OmniPlan side of this integration from sneaky peeks. The iPhone OmniFocus implementation only partially handled delegated tasks and the iPad and Mac builds didn't handle it at all. Apparently the consequences weren't limited to OmniFocus mishandling delegated tasks, but could be more along the lines of rendering your database unusable to OmniFocus.

So we thought, let's not do that.

-Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Short answer: I don't have an estimate yet.

Long answer: There are still too many unknowns in our own planning. Our original plan was to ship OmniFocus 2 and OmniPlan 2 around the same time, and this integration would be a feature of OmniFocus 2.
Thanks for the answer Ken,

Having read the blog posts about the iPad apps over the last few months, I was wondering how OP2 Mac and OP for the iPad might fit together ? Would you be in a position to say whether you think that an iPad version might be around in a similar timescale to OP2 for the Mac, or do you think that an iPad release might be substantially later on ?

I think that the last thing I read for the OP iPad version suggested possibly Summer '11 or thereabouts as a target date ?

Thanks for the great work you folks do. OmniPlan is outstanding. There's a huge gap in terms of project planning software, and this is a great effort.

I'd like to add another voice to the chorus hoping for omnifocus integration sooner rather than later. Right now, the only choice for most of us - whether professional project manager/program manager or just someone interested in GSD is to use MS Project. Of course MS project is a mature and stable product, but it integrates terribly to outlook/workflow tools, or at least I have yet to see a clean implementation. IMHO there's a great opportunity here, with iPads penetrating large enterprises, and desktop virtualization strategies coming forward I think we will see more and more macs in these companies. A suite of products that integrates flexible planning and actual deliverable assignments + tracking would have a good chance of increased adoption in this brave new world!

Keep up the great work!

I heard that you can Ominplan has two way sync with Ominfocus. How do you set it up?

This feature is planned, but it hasn't been fully implemented yet.

(Gonna move this thread to the OmniPlan forum, where I suspect the original poster meant for it to live.)

And *then* I'll resurrect a thread from the OmniPlan 2 beta, moving it out where other folks with the same question can see it, and move the most recent post on the same topic to that thread. :-)