The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving to a different computer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I'd like to move my data from my laptop to my new desktop. I've searched the forum and also the help on Omnifocus, and I can't find out how to do it?

I do NOT need to keep 2 copies of Omnifocus - just move it from one computer to another.

Thanks so much,
Leila

Sorry to have troubled you. I dug some more and found it. At first I wasn't sure if it was the right file, because I'm new to using a Mac and it appears that the default is to view files without their extensions. However, I was able to move computers successfully.

Thanks anyway.

PS I love reading this forum and seeing how many different ways people use Omnifocus. It truly is a wonderful product.

Leila

I was able to move my Omnifocus file to another computer. However, none of my perspectives were moved. Is there a different file I need to move to do this?

Thanks so much,
Leila

Leila,

Are you running the latest version of OF? I'm going to assume so.

In that case, do your perspectives appear in the Perspectives menu? If your projects made the transition, than your perspectives should have also, since in version 1.7 and later the perspectives are stored in the same file as the projects and actions.

If the perspectives show up in the menu, but not in the toolbar, then you need to move your preferences file from the old computer. The preferences file stores your toolbar configuration. The file that you want to copy over for preferences is:

~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist

Be sure to quit OF on the new machine before copying the file, otherwise OF may overwrite the copy when you exit it.

Post back if you were running 1.6 on the old machine, and someone will tell you how to grab the perspectives from that version.

Curt

Hi Curt,

I'm sorry I forgot to include my version number. 1.61

(I plan on doing the upgrade in a few weeks. I'm waiting for when I have a little extra time in case I encounter any "issues.")

Thanks,
Leila

Ah, in that case you need to copy the folder:

~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives

to the same location on your new machine.

Curt