The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Keyboard shortcuts : feature request Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Very impressed with the app so far. However, it would be nice to be able to navigate around with the usual shortcuts when you have a bt keyboard hooked up.

Is there a way to move items and rearrange the outline using the external Bluetooth keyboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Danielsson View Post
Is there a way to move items and rearrange the outline using the external Bluetooth keyboard?
Other than TAB to indent a row (if your insertion point is in the first position in the row) and Backspace to outdent a rown (again, if your insertion point is placed similarly) then that would be a 'no'. Kindly send along a request to the ninjas for some keyboard equivalents.

I have requested command-B, I, U to represent the three letter styles (bold, italic, underline) rather than having to navigate menus to simply style a word.

We're limited here by the iOS platform itself. It doesn't let apps invent new custom keyboard shortcuts that aren't already built in; we can only try to interpret the keyboard events it already has defined.

As an example, we might be able to get arrow keys working between fields if we're lucky, but we won't be able to add keys like Shift-Tab to outdent, or Command-B to make text bold. The OS doesn't send us a message when those keys get pressed, so we can't do anything in response.

We've filed a feature request with Apple asking for improvements, of course. If iPad customers also submit requests to Apple it may help. Folks can do so at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html.

(The irony here is that the iPad's WebView has JavaScript APIs that actually offer more support than the native APIs, but we don't want to do the entire interface in those APIs just for this one reason.)

Unfortunately even the TAB/BACKSPACE shortcuts break under the simplest of conditions (simply add a column to a table and boom, backspace now returns to the previous row while tab tabs to the next column). They aren't in effect shortcuts at all because they only function under certain very limited circumstances.

Backspace when held down also will plow through your entire outline. It should stop at the start of a branch (this reported to ninjas).

Yes Brian, the iOS has a lot of limitations. I've been with Apple since the Apple II days and have only had Macs in my house since 1985. I bought the iPad for OmniGraffle. Unfortunately Apple has dictated that the iPad is only meant for browsing. Their recent file management solution is evidence of this (Open with... is not file management) and cover flow is not an acceptable way to manage large numbers of work-related files.

The moment a device comes out with an app as powerful as OmniGraffle and in as easy to access device as an iPad I'm so there, be it Apple or Android or whatever, though that is unlikely thanks to Omni continuing to improve it's apps. Not even a windows driven tablets with it's ability to run full blown applications are impressive as OmniGraffle and iThoughts. Sure, I could run XMind and Visio but I like OG better. OGiP needs to export Visio files for my coworkers but that won't cause me to buy a windows tablet alone, and that is all that is enticing about it, not having to go through OG Mac to get Visio files.

All that being said, I'm amazed and impressed at what devs have been able to get out of the iPad including the ones at Omni.

Last edited by HappyCatMachine; 2011-05-24 at 05:30 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCatMachine View Post
Unfortunately even the TAB/BACKSPACE shortcuts break under the simplest of conditions (simply add a column to a table and boom, backspace now returns to the previous row while tab tabs to the next column). They aren't in effect shortcuts at all because they only function under certain very limited circumstances.

Backspace when held down also will plow through your entire outline. It should stop at the start of a branch (this reported to ninjas).
Both of these behaviors essentially replicate the Mac application, and you will not find universal agreement that the latter behavior is incorrect.

Please please add keyboard shortcuts on the iPad app. It will make the app so much more useful.

Even just the basic TAB feature to navigate to the next field will make entering stuff much faster.

Please add me to feature request list too.

Other apps I use seem fine with it (Apple Bluetooth keyboard) so it shouldn't be too much of an ask.

It really spoils the user experience of what is an otherwise brilliant application.

I agree. Please add bt keyboard shortcuts.

See this post for more info on the limitations of keyboard support in iOS apps. Also, please keep in mind that you'll want to send in feature requests by email if you want to be sure they get recorded. Thanks!