The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mail clipping: no attachments in Lion [A: caused by change to Mail.app in 10.7] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Brian and all,

ok, I was sort of surprised anyway by the fact that OmniGroup wouldn't be able to handle mail attachments whereas I was / am.

Done some more research and fact is that Mail 5 currently has an Applescript bug when it comes to saving attachments. I do not experience this pb with my custom Applescript simply because I run a dev version / update of Lion that has this bug corrected.

So the information to retain here is that the next public release of Lion will probably have this bug corrected as well and Clip-o-Tron will probably work as expected after that.

I'm obviously still willing to share my script but I guess it won't do any better until the next Lion release is out as my way of retrieving attachments is the "standard" way of doing it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bye,
Lutz

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know that it will be eventually fixed. That said, do you by any chance know when the next Mail 5 update will be?

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgallerano View Post
Thanks for the info. It's nice to know that it will be eventually fixed. That said, do you by any chance know when the next Mail 5 update will be?
No obviously, as always, there's no ETA.

Sorry but that is all I have.

can anyone please supply the corresponding script from LuMe96?

thank you much for your support...

cheers,

thomas

Thomas, the script in question only worked for LuMe96 because he's running an unreleased version of Mac OS X.

Once Apple releases that update to Lion to the rest of us, this should start working properly for everyone. Until Apple releases that update, though, it's not something we'll be able to script around or fix on our end. Sorry for the inconvenience.

dear brian,

no good news so far... but anyway... the issue is related to the mail client... so is there any other mail client for other mail-accounts than gmail, which works with omnifocus, clipping and attachments?

cheers,

thomas

Back to the original post in the thread, what is the current status of being able to have attachments included in e-mails from Apple Mail that are sent to OF? This still has not been fixed in the most recent versions (up to 1.9.4).

Thanks

Marc, Lion made some changes to Mail's applescript interface that caused the attachments to not be brought over any more. Our understanding is that this isn't intentional - we're waiting for an update to OS X that should fix the issue.

(This is based on info in this thread, which I'll move these posts over to momentarily.)

Thanks for the update Brian.

Hi,

well I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been resolved.

I had it working back in September on a Lion beta with my script. Don't remember exact version, but given that 10.7.2 was released in October to public, it must have been a 10.7.2 beta. Right now I'm already on the next beta, so I can't test on a public release of 10.7.2 but I really don't see why this should work on beta releases only.

Anyway, I've done some tidying up on my script and uploaded it here :
http://bit.ly/yU0yxl

It's a simple script. Some parameters in the first section for customization, followed by the script itself.

Personally, I've set up a Global Hotkey with Alfred + Powerpack to run it on the selected Mail messages. (BetterTouchTool could be a free alternative for setting up a Global Hotkey).

Running it (debugging it) from within the Applescript Editor will not work as Mail has to be the frontmost application (my intention was to create a script not limited to Mail, that's why I check the current frontmost app).

You can however change this my modifying the following part (situated at the top of the SCRIPT section) :

Code:
tell application "System Events"

set appname to name of the first process whose frontmost is true

if (appname = "Mail") then
		my AddFromAppleMail()
	else
		--display dialog appname
		my EmptyQuickAdd(appname)
	end if
end tell
replace by

Code:
tell application "System Events"
	set appname to name of the first process whose frontmost is true
	my AddFromAppleMail()
end tell
For those interested, this script is obviously free for any use, I would however appreciate feedback (and acknowledgment if redistributed).

If you have questions or problems, feel free to ask here.

Bye