The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus Plans for Creating Perspectives on iOS Devices Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was wondering if there are any plans to add the ability to create perspectives on the iPad and/or iPhone versions of OmniFocus. I am still deciding which product(s) to purchase, but it seems that would be a useful feature. However, the only Mac we have is a Mac Mini that we use as a media center connected to our TV, rather than a productivity machine. Plus, I need a mobile solution so using the Mac version is not very practical for us.

Sorry for the delayed response - a bunch of folks were at Macworld last week, and the folks left behind had to cover for our absences. Kept everyone fairly busy, but we're getting caught up now.

Creating perspectives in the iOS versions is something we've had discussions about, but we don't have an ETA on when that might happen yet. We do have a feature request open in the development database, though - I'll attach your post to that item so the rest of the team will know you'd like to see that happen. (The number of customer requests for a given feature does influence our planning.)

Thanks!

Before I give my vote for this feature or not, Brian, can you please tell us how perspectives would work on the iPad (if it is to be implemented)? I have never seen the Mac version so I don't have a frame of reference. I generally know what a perspective is but what I'd like to know is what kinds of settings would there be? Filters? Sorts? What kind of controls might there be in this feature?

Filters and sorts are both included, George. Perspectives can be built to show you either Project or Context mode, with various things hidden from view and the remaining things sorted or grouped in various ways. This lets you build views that show you the things you want to see, and hide the other ones.

A more concrete example would be the "Flagged or Due Soon" view that folks semi-regularly ask about here. It's generally based on context mode, with actions grouped by their due dates, then sorted within those groups by context.

(So everything due today would be one group, and all the items from my "Home" context in that group would be next to each other in that group. The "Due tomorrow" group would do the same thing.)

You can then specify a combination of filters that shows you everything due soon and everything that's flagged, hiding the rest of your actions. An item due today would appear regardless of the flag state, but if I wanted to work on something not due until the year 2020, I could flag it and it would appear in that view as well.

Those are just a few examples - there's a lot of depth here. If you want to learn more, the easiest thing to do would likely be to grab the PDF manual for the Mac version and read pages 36-39.

As to what controls would appear in the iPad version, there would likely be ones that functioned equivalently to the controls in the attached screenshot, but I'm not qualified to theorize or speak to how that functionality might appear in the iPad version. Not my area of expertise. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perspectives window.jpg
Views:	1643
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2247  

Last edited by Brian; 2012-02-08 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: "next to each other" -> "next to each other in that group"

Thank you very much Brian. I would be in favor of adding perspectives to the iPad OF.

Added to that item in the development database - thanks!

Hi guys,

thumbs up for perspectives on ipad and iphone versions!!!

I am really disappointed that those do not work as it is one of the BIG benefits of the osx version (compared to other task managers) and is advertised BIG by all the omnifocus gurus out there.

So WHY is this not included in the IPAD and the IPHONE versions?
I have spend like 4 weeks learning Omnifocus on OSX and fitting it to my needs just to find out that my IMPORTANT perspectives DO NOT WOKR on my other devices. This really reduces the use of my ipad and iphone to a inbox entry system.

Of course I found out about those MISSING features AFTER buying the apps!!

Come on guys. Make perspectives work on IPHONE and IPAD!!! PLEAAAAAAAASSSEEEEEE

To clarify:
Creating and editing perspectives on an iOS device is not possible. But a context-based perspective created on a Mac can be viewed on an iOS device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
To clarify:
Creating and editing perspectives on an iOS device is not possible. But a context-based perspective created on a Mac can be viewed on an iOS device.
Yes that's right.

And unfortunatly project-based perspectives (created in the osx version) can NOT be viewed on iOS devices.

The iOS apps would better back the claim of standalone apps if they'd support creating and modifying perspectives like the Mac can. :) +1 !