The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus & Mavericks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniFocus gets listed as one of the apps using significant energy – that seems strange for a task management app.

For comparison, my top items by avg. energy impact are:
  • Terminal: 10.55
  • Eclipse: 9.22
  • PinPoint: 7.6
  • Safari: 2.35
  • Spotlight: 1.92
  • Omnifocus: 1.87
  • Mail: 1.67
  • etc. etc.

I didn't find anything very useful describing the units, just "lower is better".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
I've discussed this more with our engineers. It seems it's normal for apps to temporarily use the discrete GPU from time to time. OmniFocus' misbehavior is that once it starts using the discrete GPU, it doesn't let the system know when it's done with it.

We're investigating a fix. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Previous versions of OF running earlier versions of OS X didn't switch to the discrete graphics on my early 2011 MacBook Pro, even temporarily. Why would this behavior change with a point update? On a late 2013 retina MacBook Pro it switches upon launch and sticks until OF is quit.

The graphics cards and OS have changed, not OmniFocus. So we need to make changes to be more cooperative with Mavericks' assumptions and behaviors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
The graphics cards and OS have changed, not OmniFocus. So we need to make changes to be more cooperative with Mavericks' assumptions and behaviors.
Way better answer than the earlier one I responded to. :)

But OF did change. A Mavericks compatible version was released. On two machines, one with new hardware, one without, OF behavior changed. The common factors were Mavericks and OF. Not completely off base to assume someone testing OF under Mavericks would have noticed the graphics card change. If it's not part of the quality control process, it probably should be.

Last edited by kastorff; 2013-11-02 at 06:39 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastorff View Post
Way better answer than the earlier one I responded to. :)

But OF did change. A Mavericks compatible version was released. On two machines, one with new hardware, one without, OF behavior changed. The common factors were Mavericks and OF. Not completely off base to assume someone testing OF under Mavericks would have noticed the graphics card change. If it's not part of the quality control process, it probably should be.
The fix for Mavericks was extremely important (some people couldn't open their data files) so that needed to be released quickly. While I hope OF does get fixed to prevent this issue as it affects me too, this is much more of a relatively minor issue and IMO not worth getting too upset about. They've been notified (which is what we needed to do) so let's hope it's fixed in the next release.

We have just made OmniFocus 1.10.6 available for our direct customers. The Mac App Store edition is still queued for review.

We believe this update will address the misbehavior of previous versions with regard to "Significant Energy" usage and making unnecessary use of the discrete GPU.