The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdenting an outline item Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here is the most trivial question I have ever asked on this forum!

In OmniOutliner I use the keystroke combination shift+tab to outdent an outline item. This doesn't work in OF. Instead, I use Command+]. Is there any reason why the keystrokes are not common between the apps? Is there a way to assign OF the same keystroke combo as omnioutliner?

Thanks,
Steve

Actually, Command+] is common between both apps. In Outliner, tab & shift-tab can either indent & outdent or move right & left through the columns. (You can set this in the Keyboard Preferences.) In Focus, we had to pick one of those behaviors to imitate.

But maybe Focus should have the same keyboard preferences as Outliner. If you think so, please send an email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com so your feature request gets logged properly.

Lizard, I'll put in a feature request for the same keyboard preferences as Outliner. Until then, I should change OmniOutliner and retrain myself. I make this mistake several times a day in OF. For the record, I really like shift/tab because I can do this without looking at the keyboard :)

OmniOutliner uses Tab and Shift-Tab to indent and outdent by default (you can change this in preferences) because it only has one column of data by default.

OmniFocus and OmniPlan always have multiple fields per row, so Tab always takes you to the next field. (There isn't a better key to take you to the next field than Tab!)

My OmniOutliner preferences are set to always go to the next cell when hitting Tab, so I have consistent behavior across all three apps. I think there's a good argument for making that the default behavior for Tab in OmniOutliner 4.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2008-06-04 at 03:04 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
My OmniOutliner preferences are set to always go to the next cell when hitting Tab, so I have consistent behavior across all three apps. I think there's a good argument for making that the default behavior for Tab in OmniOutliner 4.
I just changed my preference so everything is consistent. Thanks for the tips.

I spend a large part of my day writing code in BBEdit, which also uses Command-] to indent blocks of text. So it made good sense for me to use the same key command in Outliner and OmniFocus.