The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Where do I begin? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I understand the concept of Omni Focus, and as my personal and business tasks tend to grow, I definitely could use some task management help!

But, I really don't know where to begin... with 2 days left in my trial, I haven't even used the software. I've been so busy, I haven't even had the time to explore or use it. Is there a decent primer video or tutorial that is out there?

The one on "perspectives" doesn't make a lot of sense, because it flows like you already have to be an insider.

Basically, where is Omni Focus for Dummies?

-Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcsco View Post
I understand the concept of Omni Focus, and as my personal and business tasks tend to grow, I definitely could use some task management help!

But, I really don't know where to begin... with 2 days left in my trial, I haven't even used the software. I've been so busy, I haven't even had the time to explore or use it. Is there a decent primer video or tutorial that is out there?

The one on "perspectives" doesn't make a lot of sense, because it flows like you already have to be an insider.

Basically, where is Omni Focus for Dummies?

-Adam
Good morning,
If you're new to Getting Things Done (GTD) which OmniFocus is based on (by your email I couldn't tell, but I'm assuming), you may want to read David Allen's book first (if you already have, please disregard this message :)

Before you can really get the gist of OF, it's REALLY important that you understand the concepts behind GTD. The book's a pretty easy read, and I was able to skim through a good portion (but that's just me).

Once you understand contexts, projects, etc., you can start to understand OmniFocus. I definitely wouldn't suggest diving into OF if you're not familiar with GTD. There also is a manual for OmniFocus, which is on the product page. I believe there is a video that is an overview of OF, which is different from the persectives video.

There are also PLENTY of helpful people here that can help in the forums, but please do us a favor and get familiar with OF/GTD first.

I realize you're busy (hey, we all are), but I chipped away at the book, got to 'know' OmniFocus, and it's helped immensely. Just take your time with it!

Best of luck!

Adam: Have you tried the OmniFocus Basics video on the OmniFocus product page?

You might also see whether your local public library has David Allen's book Getting Things Done, or check out Merlin Mann's blog post about getting started with GTD. OmniFocus makes more sense if you understand the method that it was designed to implement.

You can contact Omni Group and ask them to extend your trial license, since you haven't had a chance to really try out the software yet. But first, you might try a simpler product like TaskPaper. OmniFocus can import TaskPaper files, so if you decide you need more power and flexibility, you can easily migrate to OmniFocus. I personally found that TaskPaper didn't work well for me because it didn't scale well with hundreds of projects and thousands of actions. But it implements the same basic model, and you might find it a less daunting way to start.

I don't have time, but someone should approach Adam Engst about writing Take Control of OmniFocus.

Edited: I just saw Lightstorm's helpful reply (that's what happens when you start writing a response and get distracted by incoming email!).

both of your responses were way over my head... read a book? What's a book...

I am excellent at getting things done, just would love to make it more digital... OMNI really needs to have a simple basics, welcome to our product... nothing is presented very well, and they lost a customer because of it.

I'm sorry, I thought you were asking for advice, not just a place to gripe.

You *did* look at the OmniFocus Basics video, right? And you did open up OmniFocus Help from the Help menu, right? If you do actually want help, let us know what is still confusing.

And I was serious about asking Omni Group to extend your trial license if you need more time to evaluate the product. They're good that way, in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcsco View Post
both of your responses were way over my head... read a book? What's a book...

I am excellent at getting things done, just would love to make it more digital... OMNI really needs to have a simple basics, welcome to our product... nothing is presented very well, and they lost a customer because of it.
Sorry, maybe I just didn't realize how 'busy' you are that you REALLY didn't have time to look at the basics video on OG's site; MAYBE you didn't have time to check out the help file, which is a really quick read.

MAYBE you're not expecting too much help on this forum...

Excuse my tone, but I have a serious problem with people who refuse to try to find the answer themselves, all the while stepping on those TRYING to help, and trashing the company that makes software that just DOESN'T conform to the way THEY want to do things.

Good luck.

And brianogilvie, well said. :)

Wow, just went to the product page and there's a Basics video that just about slaps you in the face. Can't miss it.

Funny.