The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraphSketcher > OmniGraphSketcher General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Excel Transpose - A useful help when importing data. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniSketcher has a limitation in the way that it imports data. If your columns and rows are not in the format expected then OmniSketcher's import function does not interpret your data correctly. For example I had a table with data that looked something like the following.

Code:
    1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995
---------------------------------
Oil  191  190  189  188  184  178
Gas  143  151  166  176  186  213
If I just do a simple copy and paste into OmniGraphSketcher, the year would not end up on the x-axis, meaning I would have to re-key my data for OmniGraphSketcher to understand it correctly; This is a problem if you have a large amount of data in a table already.

For those of us who are not aware, excel has a transpose function which will switch your columns and rows around. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Select the entire data set you wish to transpose
2. Right click in the area where you wish to copy the transposed data to
3. Click Paste Special.
4. At the bottom right hand corner of the submenu, there is a radio button labeled Transpose select this
5. Paste.

Voila, your columns are now rows and rows now columns; better yet, OmniGraphSketcher will now understand your import.

Perhaps this is one feature OmniGroup really need to support better as there would be no use for OmniGraphSketcher if we could not get our data in easily.

Thanks all

Me.