The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

how to use OF with iDisk? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Newbie questions:

1. Is there any reason I shouldn't put my OF data file on my iDisk/dotmac (for access from my different computers/locations)?
2. (if the answer to 1. is no).... Where is the file, and if I open it from iDisk/Documents by double clicking it, will OF open it OK?

Thanks,
Doug

If I recall from reading other threads, the OF expects to find the data file in a specific location, so running it from an iDisk is not yet an option.

I wish it was, though. The OmniFolks seem to indicate that iDisk etc. will be implemented later on in the beta phase. (I hope I remembered what I read correctly!)

For now, however, you can just do what I do: run OF on your home computer and run it on your work computer. You'll have different sets of lists, but if you're at home and think of something that should go into OF on the work computer, just send yourself an email to your work. The same system also works when you're at the office.

Of course, this assumes you have a separate work and home set of email accounts.

I've been using FolderShare to synchronize my OmniFocus document between my home and work Macs as well as my MacBook. Although it now has a big ass Microsoft Logo stamped on it and doesn't offer a universal version of the syncing client, it works really well. You have to absolutely make sure you're not opening the same (synced) document from multiple computers at once, though (I'm using Apple's Remote Desktop in conjunction with AppleScript to quit any copies of OmniFocus on my other machines, if necessary).

For what it's worth, FolderShare doesn't actually store your files on its servers. It simply interconnects your machines to exchange files in a peer-to-peer fashion.

For the record, the default OmniFocus document is stored in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus and yes, double-clicking an OmniFocus document in a different location works nicely (for example with the regularly backed up copies in ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups/).

Best,
Patrick

I have used FolderSync in the past to synchronize other files between two macs.
http://www.softobe.com/products/flsy/pp.html

I have sync'd over the file :
~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus

I will post if I have any problems. I have used MS's FolderShare in the past. I am not sold on it, but it is free and maybe helpful in this issue.