The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
FWIW, Check out the incredible amount of communication from Ken and the rest of the Omni team in regards to OmniFocus iPad over the last few weeks.. That, and the app itself, are well worth the money.

I think the thing you have to ask here is whether the $40 price tag seems reasonble when comparing it to the functionality and price of its competitors. The truth is, I switched from Omnifocus Mac+iPhone to Todo on iPhone+iPad+Toodledo. When Omnifocus for iPad came out, I wanted to switch back. I have bought Omnifocus for iPad and I am unhappy with it - it won't make me switch back. I am not reclaiming my money as I have the hope that the Omni guys will fix the problems, but with Todo 4 around the corner (just received an announcement mail yesterday or so), they play a catch-up game that is hard to win - especially at this price point. And Appigo and all the others are certainly no bigger companies than Omnigroup, however, they still manage to make a living off these affordable prices.

Well, it's a bit of a deja vu. When OF came out for the iPhone it made me scratch my head for a while, then eventually I bought it.

This time around it simply won't happen. I think the added benefit of having the iPad in addition to the Mac and iPhone I already have for OF is not in balance with its price. If it had been another $5 ok, but not like that.
Also one needs to see the context that OF is not likely to exist stand-aline on an iPad, you will usually have at least a Mac with another paid copy.
I also find an iPad/iPhone universal app would have been much more elegant.

Anyway, I hope you guys have thought through the part of the market you want to cater to, the risk of alienating users and the opportunities you create for the competition.
I for my part won't buy it and I certainly won't recommend it at this price point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yann View Post
Whatever you think of the $40 price point, your examples are pretty bad choices... The movie industry is probably the #1 in terms of milking its customers to the max... 3D anyone?

As for the car analogy, the real parallel would be if people were complaining that they don't get a discount on OmniGraffle or some other OG app...

The real problem here is that you've never had to pay for each install of OmniFOcus on all your computers until now. But the hardware landscape has changed and now you do... Omni could have put together a slightly upgraded version of the iPhone app, make it universal, and call it a day. They decided instead to go all out and make a kickass app specifically for the iPad. It makes sense... And although I'd bet the commercial aspect had at least something to do with it. I think they were mostly excited by the potential of the new device and the opportunities it created in terms of UX and UI.

Still though... You used to be able to buy an app and install it on all your Macs. Now suddenly, you have to buy a new app for each new device you own, even when they share the same OS. They don't force you to buy it. But they don't go out of their way to make you feel they appreciate your business either...

Just sayin'
Your analogy is flawed as well. You are not buying the application for your Mac, but completely different platforms. I think Apple made it clear when they introduce these devices, that's how they see them-different platforms.

If you bought a BMW car, would you go to BMW and complain that you are not getting a discount on their motorcycle? For that matter, would you complain that they are not bundling their motorbikes with scooter/moped, and now their bicycle? BMW makes all these different vehicles, but you are expected to buy each on separately. In the same token, you had to pay for iPhone, iPad, and Mac separately since they are three different devices. Why do you now complain that software or accessories you have to buy these would not behave in the same way?

I get it that some people are complaining about how expensive the program is. Well, not all programs are going to be selling at the price you want. Do you go to BMW and complain that their car is too expensive compared to a Hyundai? If you think a Hyundai, which is a fine car, meet your needs, then buy it. If you think a BMW meets your need better, then prepare to pay a higher (premium) price.

Let's move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz View Post
I think the thing you have to ask here is whether the $40 price tag seems reasonble when comparing it to the functionality and price of its competitors. The truth is, I switched from Omnifocus Mac+iPhone to Todo on iPhone+iPad+Toodledo. When Omnifocus for iPad came out, I wanted to switch back. I have bought Omnifocus for iPad and I am unhappy with it - it won't make me switch back. I am not reclaiming my money as I have the hope that the Omni guys will fix the problems, but with Todo 4 around the corner (just received an announcement mail yesterday or so), they play a catch-up game that is hard to win - especially at this price point. And Appigo and all the others are certainly no bigger companies than Omnigroup, however, they still manage to make a living off these affordable prices.
That's great that you found those programs meet your needs. I for one tried those for a few days and scrapped them since they do not come even close (for me) meeting my needs to task management programs. I won't go into details as to where they fall short here since it will take up too much space, but judging from other posts, I'm not the only one.

Again, to each his/her own. If you find other program work for you and the price meets your need, go for it! If you think OF doesn't and it's too expensive, don't buy it. However, please do not accuse Omni for behaving badly or make inferences about their motives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnuding View Post
Well, it's a bit of a deja vu. When OF came out for the iPhone it made me scratch my head for a while, then eventually I bought it.

This time around it simply won't happen. I think the added benefit of having the iPad in addition to the Mac and iPhone I already have for OF is not in balance with its price. If it had been another $5 ok, but not like that.
Also one needs to see the context that OF is not likely to exist stand-aline on an iPad, you will usually have at least a Mac with another paid copy.
I also find an iPad/iPhone universal app would have been much more elegant.

Anyway, I hope you guys have thought through the part of the market you want to cater to, the risk of alienating users and the opportunities you create for the competition.
I for my part won't buy it and I certainly won't recommend it at this price point
As far as I'm concerned, OF for iPad can definitely act as a stand-alone application. So, some people will only be paying $40, not $120 (if you own all three). For that matter, another competition's product cannot be used as standalone at this point due to missing features. In that case, you would have to pay $70 for the program since you need both desktop and iPad version. So, which one is cheaper?

I know how hard Omni folks worked to bring this application to iPad; so, if you think they deserve a few dollars for their efforts, then I have to disagree vehemently.

You can still use their iPhone application in their iPad. So, you don't have to purchase a separate iPad application if you don't want to.

Just another perspective on this matter.

I don't care it is $40. I just care about the bugs, crashing and issues with functionality.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
That's great that you found those programs meet your needs. I for one tried those for a few days and scrapped them since they do not come even close (for me) meeting my needs to task management programs. I won't go into details as to where they fall short here since it will take up too much space, but judging from other posts, I'm not the only one.

Again, to each his/her own. If you find other program work for you and the price meets your need, go for it! If you think OF doesn't and it's too expensive, don't buy it. However, please do not accuse Omni for behaving badly or make inferences about their motives.
Come on. These defensive 'don't critize Omni' phrases are driving me mad in this thread. Why wouldn't I? This sounds almost like you are an Omni employee playing an incognito customer. It's really funny. You claim that OmniFocus is superior to other products, yet you are trying hard to find a reason not list the reasons (because they of course would be too long). You claim that the Omnifocus is so much superior and that people using the cheaper apps just don't have enough to do. However, the point of my criticism is exactly that: that you can't focus with Omnifocus in the way to list the todo items efficiently, because everything is too huge, empty project items are listed, etc. etc.. There is just too much information on the screen, too little organization, and everything is just much too big. You can't concentrate on what is relevant. I wouldn't critize the price if the product was what you claim it to be, but it simply isn't.

Edit: I just learnt that there apparently should be an item "Perspective" in the OF sidebar. But I don't have it. This may make my criticism superfluos (except for the sluggish and huge UI), but I still don't know how to get this sidebar item...

Last edited by bnz; 2010-07-31 at 03:46 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnuding View Post
If it had been another $5 ok, but not like that.
So you're saying you feel OF is worth less than a coffee in Starbucks or a burger from McDonalds? If you're gaining even the slightest benefit to you productivity it's got to be worth a *lot* more than that.

If this app saves me just 15 minutes it's paid for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz View Post
There is just too much information on the screen, too little organization, and everything is just much too big.
I'm reminded of the old complaint:

"the food is terrible and the portions are too small" :)

Why do you want things smaller if there is already too much on the screen?