The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Wish: same task in two projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have developed two applications that I provide to my clients.
In OmniFocus, I have separate projects for developing each application and working for each client.

For a while, I entered application bugs and feature requests into the application projects. But this left some clients asking about the status of their application bugs/requests.

So I've recently been entering each of these tasks twice, once in the application project and once in the client project. But this is getting confusing for me.

What I'd like is for a single task to appear in more than one project. Finder handles this with aliases. I wonder if OmniFocus could offer a similar solution.

[submitted as formal feedback]

Alias tasks would be a nice way to do this; they would be clearly badged as aliases but could have different projects and contexts, and even the subject could be edited in the alias. We can dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb
We can dream.
Cute. I'll admit to dreaming on this one. Perhaps we can get a developer to join us.

If you want entries for the same action in two projects and don't want to have to enter notes in both every time you update the action, you could try entering the master action in one project and an action with a link to the master action in the other project. To create a link, select the master action, control click and select "Copy as Link," and paste the link in the note of the action in the other project.

I wish there was a way to have linked tasks in multiple projects. I often have several projects that have a common dependency task. For example Projects such as; Fix thing hanging off car, replace battery in annoying kids toy, pry something, chisel wood, chisel metal, poke hole where there should be no hole. Each of these (consider the right tool for the job) projects has a task - buy screwdriver. I only need to buy the screwdriver once. I will buy the screwdriver - errand context - when next at the tool store to buy hammer for the bruise thumb project. When I buy the screwdriver, I should be able to have the task marked complete in all tasks with this dependancy. Better yet, OF should tell me when I last used the *&^% screwdriver that I can't find, then automatically uncheck this task in all uncompleted projects so I can buy another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
Alias tasks would be a nice way to do this; they would be clearly badged as aliases but could have different projects and contexts, and even the subject could be edited in the alias.
thirded

peter