The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My Killer Feature: adding tracking to OmniPlan Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you will permit me to dream a little, I will share with you my dream feature for OmniPlan. Or maybe, for a companion product.

What I think would be great is if I could take an OmniPlan and hand it off to my developers. The developers would have a "developer's" app or "tracking" app where they could view the omniplan tasks and gantt chart. A developer could then click on an item in the gantt view to "start timing" and then later click again to "stop timing". This would make it easy for developers to track actual effort.

This developer's tracking app would record the data and then I could import it back into my OmniPlan. Each developer would send this report periodically. This would allow me to accurately track actual effort and duration against the baseline.

Obviously, this could be networked too. The developer's "tracking" app could even be an enhancement to OmniFocus. I know, I just dreamed up a year's worth of work. To me, this is a pleasant fiction.

Cheers.

Yes, something like this would be very nice. Kind of like the combination of InDesign and InCopy, where an InDesign designer takes a design, makes an InCopy file from that, passes it along, and the copywriter can write the copy in-situ. After the copy is massaged right within the design, the designer can tweak the DTP part.

I would love to have the ability to link OP and OF, or, have the ability to give a resource his or her tasks to take care of, in an email file. They can then edit the various task parameters, and the file gets submitted back into the master plan. Would be neat if when you assign a task, it goes in your OF as a "waiting" context so you can have the best of GTD in your project workflow as well.

Regards
Rick

We have some stuff like this on our 'we would like to do it' list, but I will be very careful to say that it's all in the '2.0 or later' timeframe for both OmniFocus and OmniPlan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We have some stuff like this on our 'we would like to do it' list, but I will be very careful to say that it's all in the '2.0 or later' timeframe for both OmniFocus and OmniPlan.
Do we have anything yet in terms of directly getting inputs from team members (be it task status or actual effort)?

Regards,
Ravi